Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Olivier Pomel <po...@watson.ibm.com> on 2000/08/09 19:12:06 UTC

Xerces as a "DOM Cache" ?

Hi there, I have a question for you !

I'm currently using Xerces-J to provide a DOM interface to memory and disk
stored data (I only build the DOM elements when they are actually needed).
My problem is that I have to process a -possibly- huge amount of data... I'm
looking for a way to keep only a small part of the tree in memory (i.e. only
the 'recently accessed' elements, while the others would be left to the GC
and could be re-built on the fly if they were needed again.). In one word,
I'm looking
for a way to make a "DOM cache"

    -Does anyone know an easy way to do this using Xerces (or any other open
DOM engine) ?
    -Does the Xerces-J team intend to add such a "caching" feature in the
near future (using for example Java 1.2's weak references) ?

Thanks for your help,

    Olivier Pomel
    Living Lab Services
    IBM TJ Watson Center

Re: Xerces as a "DOM Cache" ?

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Olivier,

Although we don't have any such plans this is an idea I've personally
played with for a long time. I think it's a very interesting project.
I'm not aware of anybody having done anything like that either.

Xerces could certainly be used as a basis for that. I'd be happy to
provide you with the information you would need to start from.