Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Dustin Frazier <du...@philanthropix.org> on 2003/08/19 20:50:01 UTC

using OGNL to concat strings, string bindings

I'm trying to use OGNL in a Tapestry expression to concatenate a string made
up of strings and string binding values.  I want to do something like:

Where 'height' is a parameter that's defined on the component (of type
String).  I keep getting errors from OGNL trying to parse the expression:

java.lang.NullPointerException
ognl.OgnlOps.getNumericType(OgnlOps.java:168)
ognl.OgnlOps.getNumericType(OgnlOps.java:234)
ognl.OgnlOps.add(OgnlOps.java:429)

I've also tried height.toString(), which still gives a NullPointerException
(this time in OgnlRuntime.callMethod), and height.string (thinking that
'height' actually resolves to the binding object itself), but no.  I even
tried changing the 'height' parameter to an Integer, but it didn't seem to
make any difference.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Dustin

Re: using OGNL to concat strings, string bindings

Posted by Drew Davidson <dr...@ognl.org>.
Dustin Frazier wrote:

>Never mind...  This turned out to be a bug in the distributed version of OGNL
>(2.5.1).  Everything seems to work as expected in the latest version

This behaviour changed in 2.6.3 in fact.  I changed it because the
default concat behaviour of Strings in Java is to concat "null" for a
null pointer rather than throw an exception.

- Drew

--
< Drew Davidson | OGNL Technology >

RE: using OGNL to concat strings, string bindings