Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by ap...@bago.org on 2005/03/10 23:27:17 UTC

James status and ESMTP

Hi all,

I used james in 2-3 projects in the last year and I already developed many
matcher/mailet/repositories for my needs in that time. Probably very soon
I'll need to add ESMTP-DSN support. This extension is about better handling
of delivery status notifications. (AFAIK this extension is correctly
supported at least by sendmail).

Javamail APIs already support a subset of the notification so I think that I
simply should change the SMTP service handler and add mail attributes so
that LocalDelivery and RemoteDelivery will know what DSN has been requested:
are mailattributes the correct way to transport SMTP informations?

I would like to know who (if any) is currently developing james and what are
the plan. I don't understand the current status.

1) Will the next version be 3.0 or 2.2.x / 2.3.x ?
2) Next release will be a full rewrite or does a roadmap from 2.2.0 exists?
3) What is the current trunk? It seems that it is  much older than the
2.1_fcs branch ..

PS: My problems with james:

1) Developing matcher/mailet/repositories for james I found that "MailImpl"
dependency are the worst thing. Too much james (expecially context, mailet
and matcher) code depends on MailImpl instead of mailet's Mail: If MailImpl
needed methods are not standardizable in mailet's mail we should at least
create an extra interface and cast to that interface instead of MailImpl.

2) Avalon dependencies everywhere: I think that the pojo approach discussed
in the JamesNG thread is good but sources seems a full rewrite of James. I
think that the "to groovy or not to groovy" is a no go: once we've got plain
beans we can chain them together with any container with really few changes.
But we need Interfaces, Interfaces, Interfaces ;-)

Stefano