Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eamonn Martin <ma...@gold.ac.uk> on 2009/01/08 17:45:46 UTC

Multiple users/repositories + Apache

I am a sysadmin in a university department with several hundred users.  I
want to be able to create separate http-enabled repositories for them on
the fly without needing to restart apache.  Something like this:

/svn/user1/repos1
/svn/user1/repos2
/svn/user2/repos1
/svn/user2/repos2
etc

Obviously I don't want to add several hundred Location directives to
httpd.conf to specify the SVNParentPath for each user.

What I've managed to do so far is setup the following:

/svn/repos1
/svn/repos2

Access to each repos is controlled per user by mod_authz_svn.  However,
this requires all repository authorizations to be configured in a single
AuthzSVNAccessFile and if several users (eg. in a class) try to
create/update their repository access config at the same time, we get file
locking issues on that file.

Is there any other way to make this work?  Any advice warmly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

RE: Re: Multiple users/repositories + Apache

Posted by po...@tigris.org.
Thanks for the idea, I considered that.  svnserve gives you separate authorization files for each repository, which is good.  But it also uses separate authentication files for each repository and I wanted to use our existing centralized apache authentication setup for usernames/passwords.

I had a fiddle with the code for mod_authz_svn and added an AuthzSVNAccessFilePerRepository directive which makes it look in the base directory of each repository for the AuthzSVNAccessFile.  You can then set AuthzSVNAccessFile to /conf/authz to use the same file that svnserve uses.  I've attached a patch for the mod_authz_svn.c from svn 1.5.5 for anyone interested.  Works pretty well for me, ymmv.

Cheers,
Ed

Re: Multiple users/repositories + Apache

Posted by "Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mi...@lab.vectoris.fr>.
Eamonn Martin wrote:
> Is there any other way to make this work?  Any advice warmly appreciated.

Is this an obligation to use Apache to acces the repo?
You could just use "svn://" (svnserve)