Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Rutledge, Aaron" <AR...@5prime.com> on 2002/08/13 15:47:03 UTC

SOCKS and Tomcat

Sorry list, I'm trying this again.  It got quickly buried last time, and
I just KNOW someone out there has run into this configuration problem
before.  Plus, I really have nowhere else to look--I've checked every
other resource I can think of.

I am trying to use Tomcat behind a SOCKS firewall.  I have a servlet
that is trying to access information outside the application context and
I am getting the following exceptions....

java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host: connect
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:295)
        at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:161)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:148)
        at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:139)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:366)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:582)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:292)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:253)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:321)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:306)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:301)
...and so on

I found on a really old post that I need to set TOMCAT_OPTS =
-DsocksProxyHost=<my proxy's ip> -DsocksProxyPort=1080
I have set an environmental variable (I am using W2K), but I am still
having problems.  Is there something more I need to do?  I can't find
any documentation on this.  Any help GREATLY appreciated!

Best regards, Aaron