Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com> on 2001/12/19 21:50:18 UTC

RE: How do I shut off log4j?

[snip]

> I have found that NOT having the Log4j packages in my Visual Age
> Workspace,
> makes my Cactus tests fail. This is because the LogService's init()
method
> which still gets called even if log4j is not in your classpath cannot
find
> org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.
> This class is not needed if log4j is not in your classpath, but this
still
> causes an error.
>
> I think this might be a problem with VAJ rather than Cactus? But I'm
not
> sure. I have been able to run the Cactus tests using Ant and TomCat. I
> just
> include Log4j in my VAJ workspace to avoid this problem, but this is
not
> ideal.

Yes, this is related to VisualAge. Indeed, Cactus needs log4j to compile
the sources but not to run it. However, I guess that even if you import
the cactus classes (as opposed to the cactus sources) VisualAge will do
some dependency checking and complain with a red cross.

The idea is to move from using our own log4j wrapper to using the
commons logging wrapper. Note that this won't exactly solve the problem
because if you import the commons logging framework in vajava, it will
also need log4j. However, you don't have to import the frameworks in the
IDE, you can simply reference them in the workspace resource properties
(can't remember the exact name).

-Vincent

> Regards
> Aklil
>

>             Russ Baker
>             <rbaker@NETdelivery.co        To:     cactus-
> user@jakarta.apache.org
>             m>                            cc:
>                                           Subject:     How do I shut
off
> log4j?
>             06/11/2001 04:30 AM
>             Please respond to
>             "Cactus Users List"
>

> Hello,
>
> Haven't figured out how to add appenders for my servlet tests and I
keep
> getting these error messages:
>
> log4j:ERROR No appenders could be found for category
(TestClasses.MyTest).