Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> on 2018/09/03 09:12:43 UTC

RE: Run on JDK8, compile on JDK11

Hi folks

In order to anticipate some jdk11 change (javaee module removal JEP 320) we
need to have a library providing thoose class. As Matthias Bläsing mention
in the PR they are already available in websvc.jaxws21.
But the module is only present for java cluster and must be available to ide
cluster (where db module needs it)

What is the good strategy here in order not to break good module and cluster
independence

Best Regards
Eric
Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-805

The above issue relates to http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/320.

Reema is looking into this too.

Thanks,

Gj

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi Eric,

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi Matthias,
 This is nice. Derby module as the same utility usage of Holder.

 I guess this is useless to provide library for that.

Regards
Eric

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi Eric,

Am Montag, den 03.09.2018, 15:50 +0200 schrieb Eric Barboni:
> I try to compile all clusters of NetBeans with jdk 11.
>
>  Lots of  javaee class disappears due to JEP 302. (java.xml.ws,
> java.xml.bind,..).
>  Some NetBeans module needs thoose class to compile on jdk11.
>
>  We need to provide them using library (one lib for each jar) .
> (Recoding seems a bad idea).
>  We also need to know the best place to put libraries.

I already replied on the issue. From JAX-WS only the Holder class was
used. The class was used in the DB modules out of convenience (they
were just there and conveyed the right meaning).

There is an easy alternative: Use a one element array. It is typesave
(even at runtime), a part of the core language.

This drops the requirement of JAX-WS and the DB module should compile
cleanly. There are valid reasons to use JAX-WS and JAXB, but if we
don't need them, I would make the change.

I checked db and this is the result from the change:

https://github.com/matthiasblaesing/incubator-netbeans/commit/f53592f9e55d5ac53a5f5817e4a0581396ddc37a

Greetings

Matthias

RE: Run on JDK8, compile on JDK11

I would like to help, but don't understand the scenario completely -- what are we trying to achieve, why, and how?

Thanks,

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.