Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/01/18 21:27:26 UTC

AltRMI performance figures

Pasted from Proposal (just updated) -->

3) Speed

  - Counting the number of 'void testSpeed()' invocations in 10 seconds,
    we can guage the differences (my Athlon900 machine)

    Speed Test type                   Count Relative
    ------------------------------- ------- --------

    AltRMI types over TCP/IP
    ------------------------
    - For remote publication

    a) ObjectStream over sockets #2    2702     1.00
    b) Over RMI                        4359    1.61
    c) CustomStream over sockets       6069     2.25
    d) ObjectStream over sockets #1   10088     3.73

    AltRMI types in the same VM
    ---------------------------
    - These are useful for complete classloader separation
      of interface & impl using different classloaders. Impl
      and 'remote' proxy do not need to see the same
      interfaces etc..

    e) ObjectStream over Pipe #2      12095     4.48
    f) ObjectStream over Pipe #1      61166    22.64
    g) Direct #3                    2391498   885.08

    #1 Without calling reset() as workaround to the ObjectStream bug
    #2 With calling reset() as workaround to the ObjectStream bug
    #3 Marshalled but not streamed.  Still as good as DynamicProxy
    for separation.

    Non AltRMI types
    ----------------
    - In VM, without using AltRMI - for comparison.
    - The inteface, impl and proxy cannot be separated in terms of
      branches of classloader for these three. The same interfaces
      etc must be visible to both impl and proxy.

    h) DyanmicProxy #4
       (copied from Excalibur)     20282070  7506.32
    i) Hand-coded proxy #4         41214422 15253.30
    j) No Proxy #4                 42384804 15686.46

    #4 - For all of these three, the actual timing may slow down the test.

I'm toying of starting a JNDI service provider for AltRMI.

I've tried to integrate JSX as a socket/steam transport, but have
encountered problems with a) a hang for JDK 1.3.1 and b) a 'no such
method' exception with JDK 1.4b3.  If I can get it working, we will have
a soution that does not use native serialization - it could be a lot
faster.  I've contacted the author.

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: AltRMI performance figures

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Juozas,

> Don't forget "Alternative SomethingUsual" means very negative for
> integrators :).
> It is kind of "bad" for name.

I know dude, I'm coming round to your idea of something with the word
"transparent" in it.  TRMI (Transparent RMI) etc.

- Paul

Re: AltRMI performance figures

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@mwm.lt>.
Ok,
now I understand my Connection problem is client, I  believed  test for
client launches the server.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Juozas,

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@mwm.lt>.
Hi,
I don't succseed to run all ARMI tests, don't understand me wrong, I do not
blame your, it is very usual,
It seems my problem not ARMI, it hangs on test1a-serve and I have IO and
connection Exceptions,
It is possible because I have some servers on my PC and the use the same port.
I can send output for you, but am afraid you can understand me wrong.

I will not have time next week, we will start new project, it is some kind
of "Banking System + Stock Exchange".
We will need "Transparent Objects", but may be later I will recommend to
use ARMI, and projects "I don't like" :).
Usual things, usual problems : performance and portability, desktop
databases + distributed systems,
  "customized solutions"   + standard stuff, "code a little, integrate a
Nobody will say me "bad", it is not open source project :(.
But good luck for you.