Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> on 2007/05/24 18:12:44 UTC

[VOTE] mime4j and james-project

Hi all,

I finally found the time todo the releases for mime4j and james-project.
I will try to add a small HOWTO later for the release stuff with maven.

So please review and vote:
http://people.apache.org/~norman/staging-repository/

mime4j:

-1 [  ]
+0 [  ]
+1 [  ]

james-project:

-1 [  ]
+0 [  ]
+1 [  ]

bye
Norman

Re: [VOTE] mime4j and james-project

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> mime4j:
+1

> james-project:
+1

Re: [VOTE] mime4j and james-project

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Norman Maurer ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> I finally found the time todo the releases for mime4j and james-project.
> I will try to add a small HOWTO later for the release stuff with maven.
>
> So please review and vote:
> http://people.apache.org/~norman/staging-repository/
>

> mime4j:
>
> +1 [X] Stefano Bagnara

> james-project:
>
> +1 [X] Stefano Bagnara

I verified that they are java 1.4 compatible (v48), verified a couple of
signatures and verified contents.

I just noticed that we created a source.jar and a sources.jar files:
they differ because the source.jar is only a collection of java source
files in the src/main folder instead sources.jar is intended to be used
for debugging and include also (javacc/jjtree) generated java files.

I don't care too much if we release both or only one of them: in my
intention there was the sources.jar (with generated stuff) but maven2
also did the source when using the "release" profile (I forgot about
this when preparing)

I didn't test the code at all because I don't use mime4j in any project
so I'm not able to test this.

Thank you so much for taking care of this 2 years old pending release,
Stefano

PS: IMO you could have even used a single vote because mime4j
includes/depends on james-project and we can't release it without
releasing james-project first.

Re: [VOTE] mime4j and james-project

Posted by Niklas Therning <ni...@trillian.se>.
Norman Maurer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I finally found the time todo the releases for mime4j and james-project.
> I will try to add a small HOWTO later for the release stuff with maven.
>
> So please review and vote:
> http://people.apache.org/~norman/staging-repository/

mime4j:
+1 [X] Niklas Therning

james-project:
+1 [X] Niklas Therning

--
Niklas Therning
www.spamdrain.net

Re: [VOTE] mime4j and james-project

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Norman Maurer schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I finally found the time todo the releases for mime4j and james-project.
> I will try to add a small HOWTO later for the release stuff with maven.
>
> So please review and vote:
> http://people.apache.org/~norman/staging-repository/

mime4j:

-1 [  ]
+0 [  ]
+1 [x ]

james-project:

-1 [  ]
+0 [  ]
+1 [x ]

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman schrieb:
> Norman Maurer wrote:
>

>> I finally found the time todo the releases for mime4j
>>

> Does it build with Ant?

No it not build with Ant... mime4j has used maven as build-tool all the
time. I really not get why this is a problem for you ? We disabled the
fetching of dependencies from remote sites. So there is not security
concern..

>> and james-project.
>>

> Why is this something that needs to be and should be released?
>
> 	--- Noel

Because the mime4j and jspf depend on it ..

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
>>> Does it build with Ant?
>> No, mime4j has always been a maven project. I moved it from maven1 to
>> maven2 more than 1 year ago when revamping our website.
>
> Well, then I can't vote for it in its current form, because I don't install
> maven.

Ok, I understand this! Thank you anyway.
I hope we have at least another maven user to get the 3rd +1 :-)

>>> Why is this something that needs to be and should be released?
>> It is the "abstract project" from which every of our m2 projects
>> inherits. It contains common infrastructure for JAMES projects.
>
> But why does it need to be released?  What is the point of releasing it?  If
> it is for building, then they can check it out of SVN.  We are releasing jar
> files and a source snapshot.

The only used "blocks" are the james-parent.pom file (the parent of all
our poms) and the maven-skin.jar (the skin used by all of our products
to build our current website).
JAMES Server product instead inherit from the james-project.pom (that is
a subpom of the james-parent.pom): this is also part of the same tree.

>> Currently Mime4j and jSPF builds depend on james-project but also every
>> other of our product depends on it for the website part.
>
> That's for doing a build.  I don't see this james-project thing as an actual
> release component.

I agree! No one will have to use it. But we will publish it on public
maven repositories. So I guess we need an official PMC vote anyway.

Stefano

RE: [VOTE] mime4j and james-project

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
> Norman Maurer wrote:
>
>> I finally found the time todo the releases for mime4j
>
> Does it build with Ant?

No, mime4j has always been a maven project. I moved it from maven1 to
maven2 more than 1 year ago when revamping our website.

>> and james-project.
>
> Why is this something that needs to be and should be released?

It is the "abstract project" from which every of our m2 projects
inherits. It contains common infrastructure for JAMES projects.

If you don't know Maven2 just thing that it is object oriented so we are
able to place common things in a single place without repeating
everything in each of our projects.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.