Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stéphane Rault <ks...@yahoo.fr> on 2005/01/20 12:22:56 UTC

sandbox VFS

Hello,

I'm trying to use the wonderful VFS. It works quite well but I've a
problem with writing in zip file. Searching for informations, I wonder
if VFS is still a live project and if sometimes, it will leave the
sandbox to become a complete Jakarta-Common project ? I want to use it
in a professionnal application and I need to be sure the project goes on
(I can't really maintain all that code alone but I can help if necessary).

Thanks for your response...

Stéphane.

[vfs] file locking

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
filipdef@cirquedigital.com wrote:
>PS: any specs for what you'd like to do file locking wise?
>It's one of the things I need next, so maybe I can help?

I would like to see what [transaction]
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/transaction/ do and if this could be
used for this purpose.
A first look at it seems promising.

If possible the lock should be passed to the real filesystem too.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [vfs] sandbox VFS

Posted by fi...@cirquedigital.com.
> You are right, I too think its time to discuss a plan how to migrate it
> to commons proper - I planed to poll for it in a couple of months. Not
> sure what the community thinks about it.

Hi -- I use it as a crucial piece of one of my projects
and it's behaving beautifully.. I'm all for moving
it to commons proper..

Cheers,
- Filip

Re: [vfs] sandbox VFS

Posted by Stéphane Rault <ks...@yahoo.fr>.
Mario Ivankovits wrote:

> Well, VFS is alive in a manner that I try to fix major problems and
> reported bugs.

> I decided to go in small steps as I use it in our project as
> java.io.File replacement (where possible) and thus have to ensure its
> stability. Currently I feel very comfortable about its stability.
>
> As soon as I have more time I would like to implement something like
> file-locking.

Yes, and the NFS support would be interesting too.. I saw it in the TO
DO List.

> You are right, I too think its time to discuss a plan how to migrate
> it to commons proper - I planed to poll for it in a couple of months.
> Not sure what the community thinks about it.

Sure that it would be a good idea. !!
So, for now, I decided to keep it in my project but in a secure way (I
encapsulate it in a single class to change it more easily.)
In some weeks, I will be more free time and I will spend some time
reading the sources.

Thanks for answering...

Stéphane.

Re: [vfs] sandbox VFS

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Stéphane Rault wrote:
> I'm trying to use the wonderful VFS. It works quite well but I've a
> problem with writing in zip file. Searching for informations, I wonder
> if VFS is still a live project and if sometimes, it will leave the
> sandbox to become a complete Jakarta-Common project ? I want to use it
> in a professionnal application and I need to be sure the project goes
> on (I can't really maintain all that code alone but I can help if
> necessary).
Well, VFS is alive in a manner that I try to fix major problems and
reported bugs.

I decided to go in small steps as I use it in our project as
java.io.File replacement (where possible) and thus have to ensure its
stability. Currently I feel very comfortable about its stability.

As soon as I have more time I would like to implement something like
file-locking.

You are right, I too think its time to discuss a plan how to migrate it
to commons proper - I planed to poll for it in a couple of months. Not
sure what the community thinks about it.

---
Mario

Re: [vfs] more FileUtils

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Brian Oxley wrote:
> Mario Ivankovits wrote:
>> ... this "MaybeBackup" is a thing we could discuss at its own.
>> How should a backup be done and named?
>> a) backup to *.bak
>> b) use versioning - e.g. *.bak_01, *.bak_02
>> b.1) with max versions
>> c) use timestamping - e.g. *.bak_20050101
>> c.1) but not more than 20 backups
>
> Just an example.  What I did was give the WhimFile instance methods to
> cover these cases so that extending classes could implement their own
> policy.  I didn't intend to clutter my example with these issues!  I
> should be more careful.
No No - my fault, I tend to be a little bit rush if it comes to new
functions and then such "details" comes into my mind "too early".

> Is there a format I should follow in writing said proposal?
I think it is sufficient if you just write it into a mail.

Method(args, ...)
Description

Method(args, ...)
Description

... and so on.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [vfs] more FileUtils

Posted by Brian Oxley <bo...@simdesk.com>.

[vfs] more FileUtils

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
B. K. Oxley (binkley) wrote:
> I'd like to see some more utility methods for manipulating file
> objects.  For example, much of my code needs:
>
>     void saveAs() throws IOException;
>     void moveTo() throws IOException;
>     void copyTo() throws IOException;
For sure, we could introduce a FileUtils, but ...
> private static void saveMaybeBackup(final WhimFile original,
... this "MaybeBackup" is a thing we could discuss at its own.
How should a backup be done and named?
a) backup to *.bak
b) use versioning - e.g. *.bak_01, *.bak_02
b.1) with max versions
c) use timestamping - e.g. *.bak_20050101
c.1) but not more than 20 backups

and so on.
Said that, I think, if such a method allows a "BackupPolicy" and we
provide SimpleBackupPolicy (case a) and NoBackupPolicy this could be a
real enhancement.

Could you please post a proposal about the methods and its functions you
would like to see. This would be a great start.

Thanks!
Mario

Re: sandbox VFS

Posted by "B. K. Oxley (binkley)" <bi...@alumni.rice.edu>.
Stéphane Rault wrote:
> I'm trying to use the wonderful VFS. It works quite well but I've a
> problem with writing in zip file. Searching for informations, I wonder
> if VFS is still a live project and if sometimes, it will leave the
> sandbox to become a complete Jakarta-Common project ?

I'd like to see some more utility methods for manipulating file objects.
  For example, much of my code needs:

     void saveAs() throws IOException;
     void moveTo() throws IOException;
     void copyTo() throws IOException;

I use these as high-level operations which use do-or-die semantics
(succeed or throw an exception) and call more basic file object
operations to do the work.  Here is the implementation of saveAs() with
a lot of things unexplained (but I use readable names, so I hope that
helps -- a WhimFile is just a java.io.File with these extra operations;
I'm using it to demonstrate my ideas to my coworkers):

private static void saveMaybeBackup(final WhimFile original,
         final InputStream newContents, final boolean keepBackup)
         throws IOException {
     final WhimFile scratch = original.createTempWhimFile("save", null);

     try {
         copyAndClose(newContents, scratch.getOutputStream());

         if (keepBackup && original.exists())
             original.moveToWithOverwrite(original.createBackupFile());

         // TODO: if scratch.moveTo throws, restore original from backup?
         scratch.moveToWithOverwrite(original);

     } finally {
         scratch.delete();
     }