Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Wes Chow <we...@chartbeat.com> on 2015/04/21 18:16:26 UTC

partition reassignment stuck

I started a partition reassignment (this is a 8.1.1 cluster) some time
ago and it seems to be stuck. Partitions are no longer getting moved
around, but it seems like the cluster is operational otherwise. The
stuck nodes have a lot of 00000000000000000000.index files, and their
logs show errors like:

[2015-04-21 12:15:36,585] 3237789 [ReplicaFetcherThread-0-28] ERROR
kafka.server.ReplicaFetcherThread  - [ReplicaFetcherThread-0-28], Error
for partition [pings,227] to broker 28:class kafka.common.UnknownException

I'm at a loss as to what I should be looking at. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Wes

Re: partition reassignment stuck

Posted by Jiangjie Qin <jq...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
Hard to say, but if you have producers keeping producing data and they
work well then probably you donĀ¹t need to.

Posted by Wesley Chow <we...@chartbeat.com>.

Posted by Jiangjie Qin <jq...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.

From: Wes Chow <we...@chartbeat.com>>
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 1:29 PM
To: "users@kafka.apache.org<ma...@kafka.apache.org>" <us...@kafka.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: partition reassignment stuck

[cid:part1.03010908.07060808@chartbeat.com]
Jiangjie Qin<ma...@linkedin.com.INVALID>

From: Wes Chow <we...@chartbeat.com>>
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 10:50 AM
To: "users@kafka.apache.org<ma...@kafka.apache.org>" <us...@kafka.apache.org>>

[...]

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

What does this mean?

Thanks!
Wes

[cid:part2.06060804.01090904@chartbeat.com]
Wes Chow<ma...@chartbeat.com>
April 21, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Posted by Wes Chow <we...@chartbeat.com>.

Posted by Jiangjie Qin <jq...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.

From: Wes Chow <we...@chartbeat.com>>
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 10:50 AM
To: "users@kafka.apache.org<ma...@kafka.apache.org>" <us...@kafka.apache.org>>

[cid:part1.08040305.06010608@chartbeat.com]
Jiangjie Qin<ma...@linkedin.com.INVALID>
April 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Those 00000000000000000000.index files are for different partitions and
they should be generated if new replicas is assigned to the broker.
We might want to know what caused the UnknownException. Did you see any
error log on broker 28?

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin

[cid:part2.02070705.06050804@chartbeat.com]
Wes Chow<ma...@chartbeat.com>