Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@batmat.net> on 2015/01/02 09:21:33 UTC

Re: What are mobile developers best practices

IIUC your request, then I'd advise you to simply run a local maven
repository manager on your laptop. Then define one and only one
settings.xml to proxy everything through that MRM.

I've done that in the past with nexus, and it worked like a breathe.

> Folks,
>
> So I'm in a bit of a conundrum, and would like some ideas.
>
> Most of the time I work with my laptop connected to an internal
> network, with its own maven repository (Nexus OSS). I proxy all
> external repositories through this and everything works fine.
>
> Sometimes though, I'm out and about and need to do some work. From
> other discussions on the mailing list, I understand that there are two
> approaches:
>
> 1. work offline
> 2. set up an additional maven repository proxy on the laptop
>
> I've done the second, but I'm a little confused as to how to optimally
> configure both the proxy and settings.xml.
>
> Currently, I have everything in settings.xml on the laptop pointing to
> the laptop's repository. I then have the laptop's repository pointing
> to the internal network repository.
>
> This works fine while I'm connected to the internal network, but will
> fail to resolve artifacts if I'm not connected to the internal network
> and have not previously resolved the artifact. This behavior is
> exactly like not running a proxy repository on the laptop.
>
> Another configuration would be set up the laptop repository to proxy
> internal repositories (I have 4), but point directly to the internet
> repositories for Maven Central and a few others I use. This will work
> whether I'm connected to the internal network or not, but will have
> three drawbacks.
>
> 1. The internal repository will not be populated with artifacts I pull
>    down from central while disconnected
> 2. This doesn't scale well - if there are 100s of mobile developers,
>    this sends unnecessary traffic to central
> 3. The internal proxy will not have a collection of central artifacts
>
> Item 1 is unavoidable. Items 2 and 3 are not so nice.
>
> I guess the third solution would be as follows (using Nexus OSS as an
> example).
>
> 1. use one set of proxy definitions while connected internally
>    a. point to the internal proxy
>    b. this proxies internal-only repositories
>    c. this proxies central and other internet-connected repositories
> 2. use another set of proxy definitions when mobile
>    a. activate direct connection to central (and others) when mobile
>    b. deactivate proxy connection to central (and others) when mobile
>
> Would the third solution be viable (except for the fact that there's a
> lot of fiddling involved)?
>
> Pointers, advice, and thoughts greatly appreciated.
>
> . . . . 'twas the night before Christmas, and Maven abounds
> /mde/
>
> ---
> protection is active.

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: What are mobile developers best practices

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net>.
Additional note: because of the way Maven now handles the sources of the
artifacts since 3.x [1], I indeed strongly recommend you to define many
settings.xml and change how/where you download artifacts from. If you do,
you're gonna have headaches with _remote.repositories files and be forced
to use mvn -llr very often.

Cheers

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Maven+3.x+Compatibility+Notes#Maven3.xCompatibilityNotes-ResolutionfromLocalRepository