Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matt England <me...@mengland.net> on 2006/03/21 04:18:27 UTC

Support CVS-like consecutive-numbered file revs?

I have a project that's looking to potentially implement a "digital assets"
tracking system with Subversion--or something similar--as it's underlying
database.

One of the useful requirements: have a "consecutively-incrementing"
rev-numbering system on a per file basis.  This doesn't happen in
Subversion because of the per-repo rev-uptick control...however...I'm
wondering if Subversion might support such an "additional," per-file
attribute to track only the file revs in addition to the repo revs...so
that I can get a "1, 2, 3, 4..." numbered file-rev set?  (yes, that's a
terrible run-on sentence...but I'm a little lean on time.)

If not, and if this requirements remains as important as we suspect for the
"per-file digital asset" system, I suspect that we may use CVS (for I
understand CVS does per-file, incremental number revs) or build a per-file
incremental "smarts" on top of Subversion in a php-based gizmo.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

-Matt

Re: Support CVS-like consecutive-numbered file revs?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 21, 2006, at 05:18, Matt England wrote:

> I have a project that's looking to potentially implement a "digital
> assets" tracking system with Subversion--or something similar--as
> it's underlying database.
>
> One of the useful requirements: have a "consecutively-incrementing"
> rev-numbering system on a per file basis.  This doesn't happen in
> Subversion because of the per-repo rev-uptick
> control...however...I'm wondering if Subversion might support such
> an "additional," per-file attribute to track only the file revs in
> addition to the repo revs...so that I can get a "1, 2, 3, 4..."
> numbered file-rev set?  (yes, that's a terrible run-on
> sentence...but I'm a little lean on time.)
>
> If not, and if this requirements remains as important as we suspect
> for the "per-file digital asset" system, I suspect that we may use
> CVS (for I understand CVS does per-file, incremental number revs)
> or build a per-file incremental "smarts" on top of Subversion in a
> php-based gizmo.

Subversion has no such mechanism built in. I make some possibly
relevant observations here:

http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-02/0017.shtml