Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "O'Toole, Joe" <Jo...@fmr.com> on 2009/11/18 14:47:19 UTC

Disabling macro's in excel files

Hi

I have a requirement to convert excel files to PDF. The GeneratePDF
service which I am using cannot handle the conversion of excel files
that contain macro's. Hence was hoping to use POI library to disable
macro's before calling the GeneratePDF service.

Anybody know if this is possible - have not seen any option via JavaDocs

Thanks
Joe

Re: Disabling macro's in excel files

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
In all honesty, I do not believe that POI offers you the ability to disable
macros, but as with all these things, I could very well be wrong.

One option you may like to look into is using OpenOffice to perform the
conversions for you. It is possible to 'drive' OpenOffice from Java code
using the UNO interface even though this is a little complex to set up and
it will not, as far as I am aware, complain about macros but it may fail if
your files are very complex. If you want to go this route, you will need to
download and install OpenOffice, get the SDK and set up your IDE so that you
can build so called UNO Client Applications. I have the code to perform the
conversions - it is simply a matter of plugging in the correct filter names
- and would be quite happy to let you have it; just let me know. Oh, one
caveat, this sort of solution will not work in a distributed - networked -
environment, it is best to run OpenOffice and to perform the conversions on
a single computer.

Yours

Mark B