Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by VENKAT KAUSHIK <hi...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/05 17:01:14 UTC

testing

Hi,
I am following the instructions on
HowToContribute wiki to get started with
some of the tasks listed (test/research).

Where is a good place to start contributing - test or research projects?
I would like to choose something small and under represented. Please
let me know.

Thanks,
Venkat

Venkatesh Kaushik
Research Associate

University of Arizona              ATLAS Experiment@CERN
Office: PAS 334                    40-1-C11
Tucson, Arizona                    Genève, Switzerland
Tel: +1 520 626 7042               +41 22 76 79137
venkat@physics.arizona.edu         venkat.kaushik@cern.ch
        http://atlas.physics.arizona.edu/~venkat

Re: testing

Posted by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I personally would start off with a bug in an area that you are interested
in.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20in%20%28HADOOP%2C%20MA
PREDUCE%2C%20HDFS%2C%20YARN%29%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20type%20%
3D%20Bug%20AND%20assignee%20is%20EMPTY%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20ASC

Is a JIRA query of bugs that are in Hadoop core.  Once you feel
comfortable changing the code and going through the entire process then
you can start looking at bigger things.  Also be aware that committers
some times get busy with other things.  If your patch is ready for review
and no one starts looking at it ping the the -dev mailing list associated
with the ticket and ask for someone to take a look at it.

--Bobby