Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by jo...@latecoere.fr on 2007/09/20 09:32:31 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache2 performance tunning : MaxClients problem

Hello,

   I'm using Ubuntu 6.10 32bits with Apache 2.0.55 for an intranet
server. The current server is a FUJITSU SIEMENS PRIMERGY RX200S2 with 2
Intel Xeon CPU 3.00GHz with HT and 4GB of RAM.
  About the stats per month (by awstats), it serves around 54000 visits,
1'000'000 pages provided, 6'000'000 of hits and 120Go of data provided.
  The server is mostly used during the day with some peaks during 4
hours in the morning. All php/html pages are mounted from a NFS filer
via a 1Gb network.

  About the server load : load1 ~ "2.5" and load5 "1.4". About memory,
25% for programs, 55% of cached and ~ 15% pure free

  FINALLY, my question is :
   I would like to allow more machine resources to Apache to handle more
connections and reduce the time to display a page.
   I reduce the timeout to 45 and :
    <IfModule prefork.c>
    StartServers         		15
    MinSpareServers      		10
    MaxSpareServers      		20
    MaxClients          		256
    MaxRequestsPerChild   	0
    </IfModule>

    I tried the put MaxClients  = 512 but I have a message error :
      WARNING: MaxClients of 512 exceeds ServerLimit value of 256
servers,
       lowering MaxClients to 256.  To increase, please see the
ServerLimit
       directive.
    I think that's the default Ubuntu options.

    Is this "maxclient" the way to go to have significant increase of
performance? Should I recompile Apache for this? Is there any point I
should tune instead of MaxClient ?

     Thanks by advance for any advices,

	Johan

"Les informations contenues dans ce message electronique peuvent etre de nature confidentielles et soumises a une obligation de secret. Elles sont destinees a l'usage exclusif du reel destinataire. Si vous n'etes pas le reel destinataire, ou si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le detruire immediatement et de le notifier a son emetteur."

 "The information contained in this e-mail may be privileged and confidential. It is intended for the exclusive use of the designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient or if you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender."

RE: [users@httpd] Apache2 performance tunning : MaxClients problem

Posted by Ge...@gta-travel.com.
Hi Johan,

>   FINALLY, my question is :
>    I would like to allow more machine resources to Apache to
> handle more connections and reduce the time to display a page.
>    I reduce the timeout to 45 and :
>     <IfModule prefork.c>
>     StartServers         		15
>     MinSpareServers      		10
>     MaxSpareServers      		20
>     MaxClients          		256
>     MaxRequestsPerChild   	0
>     </IfModule>
>
>     I tried the put MaxClients  = 512 but I have a message error :
>       WARNING: MaxClients of 512 exceeds ServerLimit value of
> 256 servers,
>        lowering MaxClients to 256.  To increase, please see
> the ServerLimit
>        directive.
>     I think that's the default Ubuntu options.
>
>     Is this "maxclient" the way to go to have significant
> increase of performance? Should I recompile Apache for this?
> Is there any point I should tune instead of MaxClient ?
>
>      Thanks by advance for any advices,
>
> 	Johan

In the case of prefork there is not really a difference between
ServerLimit and MaxClients both should be set to the same value.
I was a bit concerned about the MaxRequestsPerChild that you have set to
0. Personally I would rather set it to a higher value than set it to not
expire.

From the documentation:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#maxclients
For non-threaded servers (i.e., prefork), MaxClients translates into the
maximum number of child processes that will be launched to serve
requests. The default value is 256; to increase it, you must also raise
ServerLimit.

Regards