Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by rajath rajagopal <ra...@hotmail.com> on 2007/03/30 13:34:36 UTC

Jetspeed Authentication & Authorization

Hi All,

I am deploying Jetspeed in oracle app server.
I have configured a realm called Jetspeed with users and roles in the oracle
app server. Also I have deployed jetspeed, j2-admin & demo wars in the app
server.
I am able to get the jetspeed portal home page. On trying to log in I found
that it is first looking for username in jetspeed database schema. If it is
there the containers realm is used to get the password for that user,
otherwise I get an invalid username alert message. Is this how it should
behave ?  Is this the behaviour seen when deployed in Tomcat ? Should the
container authenticate or should it be from the database ?

Also when I login not all the admin level features are working. What should
be done to get all features working correctly ?

Thanks,
Rajath.

Re: Jetspeed Authentication & Authorization

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Mar 30, 2007, at 4:34 AM, rajath rajagopal wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am deploying Jetspeed in oracle app server.
> I have configured a realm called Jetspeed with users and roles in
> the oracle app server. Also I have deployed jetspeed, j2-admin &
> demo wars in the app server.
> I am able to get the jetspeed portal home page. On trying to log in
> I found that it is first looking for username in jetspeed database
> schema. If it is there the containers realm is used to get the
> password for that user, otherwise I get an invalid username alert
> message. Is this how it should behave ?  Is this the behaviour seen
> when deployed in Tomcat ? Should the container authenticate or
> should it be from the database ?
>
> Also when I login not all the admin level features are working.
> What should be done to get all features working correctly ?

Out of the box, Jetspeed uses its own authentication via the Login
portlet.
Note that Jetspeed authentication is actually using a Login Module,
so it is in itself container-managed authentication.
It is possible to disable this method of authentication, and to
instead use the container's authentication

One way to achieve this, is to remove the login portlet from your
home page, and make sure to protect all Jetspeed URLs via the web.xml
such as

<security-constraint>
    <!-- web resources that are protected -->
    <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>AllJetspeed</web-resource-name>
      <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
      <http-method>GET</http-method>
      <http-method>POST</http-method>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
	 <role-name>user</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
</security-constraint>

Jetspeed will try to pick up the principal from the servlet request,
but if you want to manage your own authorization, override the
Security Valve to populate the Jetspeed Subject