Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Nikita Tovstoles <ni...@doppelganger.com> on 2006/09/13 18:39:04 UTC

what's the max number of client cxn you've achieved?

Hi,

Just wondering what is the max possible number of *client* connections
were people able to generate concurrently using JMeter?

My load-generating machine is:
Intel Pentium M 2.13Ghz, 2GB RAM, WinXP. If I play w/ JVM -X settings
what number of threads can I expect JMeter to be able to run
simultaneously (I'm assuming JMeter isn't using NIO so 1 thread = 1
client cxn).

Should I expect 100s or 1000s of threads?

thanks
-nikita

Re: what's the max number of client cxn you've achieved?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13/09/06, Nikita Tovstoles <ni...@doppelganger.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering what is the max possible number of *client* connections
> were people able to generate concurrently using JMeter?
>
> My load-generating machine is:
> Intel Pentium M 2.13Ghz, 2GB RAM, WinXP. If I play w/ JVM -X settings
> what number of threads can I expect JMeter to be able to run
> simultaneously (I'm assuming JMeter isn't using NIO so 1 thread = 1
> client cxn).
>
> Should I expect 100s or 1000s of threads?

Depends on the test plan, but certainly 100s for HTTP. Lower for
HTTPS, and SOAP might also reduce the max.

You might be able to approach 1000 threads. But this can represent a
huge load on a server, and you'll need a fast network connection.

You can use the Java Request to see how many threads JMeter is able to
handle without any network I/O.

See also the Best Practices section of the JMeter manual for
information on reducing memory usage.

Posted by "Smits, Dolf" <do...@siemens.com>.
Hi,

Thtat's probably very depending on the load time and the amount of
traffic it generates.

I myself got one problem, using XP.
Yhe number of ports that can be used by a client is limited. It will
select a port between 1025 en 5999. The client connections will remain
in state_wait for about 4 minutes. During that time the port cannot be
reused.

You need to tweak some settings to allow other port-numbers, or to
release ports earlier.

Dolf

Dolf Smits
Senior Consultant Identity Management Solutions

070 333 3654
070 333 2511
06 55844837
Dolf.Smits@siemens.com
Let op: Vrijdags heb ik ouderschapsverlof en wordt uw mail niet gelezen.
Deze e-mail is uitsluitend bedoeld voor kennisneming door de
geadresseerde(n), en mag niet aan anderen worden doorgestuurd of op
andere wijze ter kennis worden gebracht. Indien u niet de geadresseerde
bent, verzoek ik u om de afzender te waarschuwen en de e-mail direct te
verwijderen/vernietigen. De afzender wijst elke aansprakelijkheid voor
(de inhoud van) deze e-mail af.

Posted by Alex Turner <Al...@Project-Network.com>.
Nikita,

With that hardware you will hit problems running much more than 256 threads.  The problem being that the context switching between the threads starts to choke the bus and cache and you find that JMeter run erratically.

I normally use a 3.6GHz P4 with hyperthreading.  384 is the max threads it will take before I am measuring JMeter's performance rather than that of the of server ;-)

If you are not using Keep-Alive, then you also should look into the max user port in your registry settings.  Otherwise you are likely to run out of user ports on your test machine.

See support.microsoft.com/kb/314053

Also, it rather depends on how complex your test is.  Nice simple HTTP Samplers are OK, but if you have assertions and regex extractors in there, you will see the limit coming in faster.

Cheers

AJ

Alexander J Turner Ph.D.
www.deployview.com