Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Neville Harvey <ne...@thomsonreuters.com> on 2008/11/17 15:02:48 UTC

JMeter version 2.3.2 java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Hi

I am running my JMeter tests in batch mode on a Unix box and I am
receiving "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space". My jmeter.bat
file configuration is as follows:

set HEAP=-Xms512m -Xmx512m
set NEW=-XX:NewSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=128m
set SURVIVOR=-XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=50%
set TENURING=-XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=2
set EVACUATION=-XX:MaxLiveObjectEvacuationRatio=20%
set RMIGC=-Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=600000
-Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=600000
set PERM=-XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=64m
set DEBUG=-verbose:gc -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution

I record the test results to a csv file and I record the assertion
failures while my test is running. I have increased my HEAP settings to
2 Gb but I can only test a maximum of 9 concurrent users before I
receive "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space". If anyone could
offer any suggestions it much be very much appreciated.

Regards

Neville

Neville Harvey
Quality Engineer

Thomson Reuters

Phone: 020 7542 5260
neville.harvey@thomsonreuters.com

Re: JMeter version 2.3.2 java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
When the JVM runs out of memory, the failing method is not necessarily
the cause of the problem, so the stack trace does not help.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
OK, thanks for letting us know.

I'm a bit surprised that 256m was only enough for about 9 users, but
that will depend a lot on the test plan.

The next release of JMeter will default to use "-Xms512m -Xmx512m" for
both Unix and Windows scripts, and will make it easier to override JVM
settings, i.e. it will be possible to do:

Unix:

JVM_ARGS="-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m" jmeter -t text.jmx [etc]

or Windows:

set JVM_ARGS="-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m"
jmeter etc

Posted by Neville Harvey <ne...@thomsonreuters.com>.