Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> on 2006/12/07 00:17:09 UTC

dynamic feed autodiscovery urls based on context

I am assuming this is the right way to do things, but I thought I'd make
sure everyone agrees before I commit it.

I want to update the showAutodiscoveryLinks() macro so that it has
conditional logic which produces the appropriate feed autodiscovery link
dependent on the context of the page.  So ...

on page /weblog/tags/foo+bar, the AD feeds would be
/weblog/feed/entries/XXX?tags=foo+bar

This seems like the best thing to do for a number of reasons, including
that it makes sense that the "alternate" rel for a page is really a feed
of the same content and it promotes the tag based feed urls more.

I would also do the same thing for category urls, so
/weblog/category/MyCat points to the feed for that category.

everyone cool with that?

-- Allen

Re: dynamic feed autodiscovery urls based on context

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
Yes. If I click on the orange subscribe button in the browser, it's
most likely that I want to subscribe to the blog itself. Being able to
subscribe to a tag specific feed is a nice option, but it shouldn't be
the only one and I think it should be secondary.

- Dave

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Anil Gangolli wrote:

> This message just reminded me.
>
> Did we reach consensus on the spaces in tags issue?

I don't think we reached a consensus about that yet, but regardless of
the decision I think it is too late in the release process to go back
and change it for 3.1.  Things like this need to be done during
development, not after the release has already had a couple of release
candidates.

> I think it impacts the syntax of the "join" (conjunction) operation on
> the tag-based URLs.  The current use of '+', which coincides with a
> possible URL-encoding of space would not be a good choice if we choose
> to support spaces in tags.

If do do decide to do spaces in tags then I would be *highly* in favor
of normalizing these tags somehow to make them into a single word for
actual use.  There are various sites which already do this, such as
flickr, and they allow users to enter tags like "black and white" and
that display name is kept but the tag name used for urls is scrunched to
become "blackandwhite".

I would not be opposed to doing something like this so that tag names
are kept nice and readable for users, but the tags for urls are
shortened and simplified to maintain the system we already have using
single word tags joined by '+'.

And as I said above, I think this should be worked on as a post 3.1
enhancement to tagging.

-- Allen