Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/31 03:44:15 UTC

Trivial question: LICENSE and NOTICE file in META-INF

Hi,

We are supposed to include our LICENSE and NOTICE file into META-INF
directory in a JAR distribution (so called 'artifact' in Maven).  Are these
file names are strictly fixed to LICENSE and NOTICE, or can we name it a
little bit differently like LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt?  I know it's a very
silly question, but I just want to make sure which is correct.  :)

Thanks in advance,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6

Re: Trivial question: LICENSE and NOTICE file in META-INF

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Oct 30, 2006, at 6:44 PM, Trustin Lee wrote:
> We are supposed to include our LICENSE and NOTICE file into META-
> INF directory in a JAR distribution (so called 'artifact' in
> Maven).  Are these file names are strictly fixed to LICENSE and
> NOTICE, or can we name it a little bit differently like LICENSE.txt
> and NOTICE.txt?  I know it's a very silly question, but I just want
> to make sure which is correct.  :)

It is common practice to add the file extension .txt -- it makes no
difference to the license.

....Roy