Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Aldrich, Timothy" <ti...@csfb.com> on 2003/03/21 17:14:54 UTC

alternate build mechanisms

Hello,
   I am a brand new Ant user.  I wish I could
commit to one language to do all of my development , but I have to follow
many others in different projects.
   I would like to use one build framework for all languages.  Can I modify,
hack , write an ant task to do this for other tools ? like gcc ? or ( gasp )
csc ( I have seen NAnt , but that's just more of the same problem )

I will apologize in advance for the long , unformatted disclaimer that gets
tacked onto the end of outbound email from our server ( and no I have no
control over it :)

R/S
Timothy Aldrich
--------------------------------------
Credit | First
Suisse | Boston
Web Engineering
--------------------------------------
212.538.5681

--

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain sensitive and private proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. CREDIT SUISSE GROUP and each legal entity in the CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON or CREDIT SUISSE ASSET MANAGEMENT business units of CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.
Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is indicative only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer to deal at any price quoted. Any reference to the terms of executed transactions should be treated as  preliminary only and subject to our formal written confirmation.

Re: alternate build mechanisms

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Aldrich, Timothy wrote:
> Hello,
>    I am a brand new Ant user.  I wish I could
> commit to one language to do all of my development , but I have to follow
> many others in different projects.
>    I would like to use one build framework for all languages.  Can I modify,
> hack , write an ant task to do this for other tools ? like gcc ? or ( gasp )

use the <cc> task on ant-contrib.sf.net

> csc ( I have seen NAnt , but that's just more of the same problem )

That'll be the <csc> task

> I will apologize in advance for the long , unformatted disclaimer that gets
> tacked onto the end of outbound email from our server ( and no I have no
> control over it :)

ah, a disclaimer about the disclaimer :)

ejbjar class not found exception

Posted by Mark Wehby <mw...@TRIPLEI.COM>.
    I am not sure how familiar you are Ant 1.5 and ejbjar.  Below is what my
ant target looks like.  You will notice the ugly support tag.  Let me
explain.  The entity beans in the application have a class they return
called <ejbname>ValueObject.java.  So, if I set the dependency="full", I
don't need the <support> tag because the <ejbname>ValueObject.java class is
pulled into the jar file , than the weblogic ejbc is run.  Everything works,
but I have the same .class files in all the ejbs.  When I set the
dependency="super" without the <support> tag, I get an ant exception,
NoClassDefFound for the <ejbname>ValueObject class.  I have thought of two
approaches, one is to somehow use the support tag, but I can't figure out
how to make this work in such a way that it only pulls in the specific
<ejbname>ValueObject for a given ejb, not all <ejbname>ValueObjects.  The
second approach I thought of is to somehow modify the given ejb-jar.xml file
for the ejb.  That is what the dependency tag looks at anyway.  I just can't
figure out how to modify it.

<!-- Create the ejb archive -->

<target name="ejbjar">

<echo message="*** creating ejb archives ***"/>

<ejbjar srcdir="${classes.dir}"

descriptordir="${metadata.dir}"

manifest="${metadata.dir}/MANIFEST.MF"

destdir="${ear.staging.dir}"

genericjarsuffix=".jar"

dependency="super">

<!-- <support dir="${classes.dir}" includes="**/*CompanyValue*.*"/> -->

<weblogic destdir="${ear.staging.dir}"

classpath="${classes.dir}"

wlclasspath="${jars.for.classpath}"/>

<include name="*-ejb-jar.xml"/>

<dtd publicId="-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Enterprise JavaBeans 1.1//EN"

location="${lib.dir}/ejb-jar_1_1.dtd"/>

<dtd publicId="-//BEA Systems, Inc.//DTD WebLogic 6.0.0 EJB//EN"

location="${lib.dir}/weblogic-ejb-jar.dtd"/>

</ejbjar>

</target>

Re: alternate build mechanisms

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>>or ( gasp ) csc
>>
>>built into Ant.
>

> Ant's CVS HEAD also supports VBC.

maybe even J#, though I have not tested that so the probability of it
working is pretty low (in the near zero category). I dont have J# on any
of my boxes, see.

Re: alternate build mechanisms

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
forgot some things ...

On 21 Mar 2003, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/ant-contrib> has C/C++ compilation
> tasks

They support certain Fortran compilers as well.

>> or ( gasp ) csc
>
> built into Ant.

Ant's CVS HEAD also supports VBC.

Stefan

Re: alternate build mechanisms

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Timothy Aldrich <ti...@csfb.com> wrote:

> like gcc ?

<http://sourceforge.net/projects/ant-contrib> has C/C++ compilation
tasks with built-in dependency tracking.  gcc (among a whole bunch of
other compilers on multiple platforms) is supported.

You will want to download cpptasks from
<http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=36177>

> or ( gasp ) csc

built into Ant.