Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by WILLIAM n SUSIE ENGELKE <en...@bellsouth.net> on 2019/12/02 14:41:04 UTC

How do you decide whether to use CVS or git?

As someone new to working with Tomcat (8), I see that a lotof the introductory documentation suggests to use CVS (and in conjunction withant) for handling software revisions. However, I have read discussions aboutthe superiority of git for handling software revisions / commits, etc., andalso I wish to put my code where it will be publicly accessible, i.e., ongithub.

Will git work just as well as CVS for tomcat appdevelopment, or are there specific, important reasons why the Tomcatdocumentation consistently refers to CVS for this? Any thoughts?

   - Bill Engelke

Re: How do you decide whether to use CVS or git?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 02/12/2019 14:41, WILLIAM n SUSIE ENGELKE wrote:

> As someone new to working with Tomcat (8), I see that a lotof the introductory documentation suggests to use CVS (and in conjunction withant) for handling software revisions. However, I have read discussions aboutthe superiority of git for handling software revisions / commits, etc., andalso I wish to put my code where it will be publicly accessible, i.e., ongithub.
>
> Will git work just as well as CVS for tomcat appdevelopment,

Yes

> or are there specific, important reasons why the Tomcatdocumentation consistently refers to CVS for this?

Only that that section of the docs is out of date and badly in need of
an update.

> Any thoughts?

If you wanted to provide a patch for the docs, that would be great.

Mark