Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David <am...@starhub.net.sg> on 2003/09/20 19:06:47 UTC

RE: Can JSP track users in a basic authentication protected realm ?

Actually I do not know how to do it. I know those internet banking sites
does it. They have this option of "Log out" for their users. When users
click on that "log out" option, they will in effect log out of the
protected realm. Should they decide to return to the same site again (
using the same instance of the IE) they will prompted for the password
and ID again.

Currently, with basic authentication ( implemented using HTTP SERVER)
the server does not recognise if the user has moved onto another site
outside the protected realm. If he decides to surf an area outside the
protected realm, and decides to return to the protected realm, he will
not be prompted for a password.

This problem arise when the computer being used to access my protected
realm is a public computer. If that is the case, users who enter my
protected realm and forgot to terminate that instance of the IE is going
to allow subsequent users of that machine to access my site.

My question is how can I implement such a way as mentioned above ?
The "log out" button kind of effect.

Many thanks.

Regards
David

Posted by Jon Wingfield <jo...@mkodo.com>.
You could possibly track the "referer" header of the request. If the
referer is a site outside your protection domain then re-authenticate.
This could be done in a filter: Check the header, log out the user,
redirect to the requested page to trigger re-authentication.

This technique assumes the "referer" header has been set by the browser.
As it's not a mandatory header you may not always get it:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.txt
Specifically section 14.36 Referer

HTH,

Jon