Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Nicolas <no...@massart.org> on 2006/01/13 11:32:12 UTC

How to test if previous sample is successfull ?

Hi,

I'd like to test if a previous sample succeeded before running another
sample.
Any ideas are welcome !

Thanks,
Nicolas.

Re: How to test if previous sample is successfull ?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Duh!

Try the following JavaScript

"${JMeterThread.last_sample_ok}" == "true"

Turns out this is set by the thread after all the assertions have been
applied to a sample, and used in the While Controller.

My brain must still be on holiday...

S.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas <no...@massart.org>.
Hi,

Perhaps a variable which would have a global scope on thread loop level
would do the job.
Something like $isLastSampleSuccessfull with a boolean value is enough,
no need to have zero or positive and negative integers as return codes
nor multiple variable for each states.
The success of a sample is defined using assertions, and we already have
enough assertion types for the moment, so we don't need to be able to
test why the sample failed as sebb says but if the sample failed or not.
A simple variable (global on thread loop level but each thread loop
would have it's own variable value) with a boolean value would be very nice.
Then we would be able to test ${isLastSampleSuccessfull} in the
javascript expression input of the IF controller and that's all.

hma...
Nicolas.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Oops, I meant

Posted by Noam Paz <no...@db.com>.
I'd use a variable global to a thread group. This way you don'T have to change any controller and you can use it in the if controller without need of heavy JavaScript.
Something like    ${rc} == 0     will do then.
I would consider a request to be successfull if it OK from BOTH technical and business views, the latter is determined by the assertions. Actually this is the way things work now.

Since the logic to determine if the request was successful already exists, the only effort I see is making the internal variable public in the thread context. This might well be less work than modifying controlls and their GUIs.

I would at first just supply the variable, (integer and not boolean, for later enhancements), so the user can check for ==0 and !=0.
This would be a major improvement for me.
Later we can enhance the feature and provide various return codes for covering different errors, but this seems for me being of seconary importance.

Regards,
Noam Paz

sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote on 13.01.2006 16:27:26:

>> Agreed, it would be useful to have a status variable for the
>> previous request.
>>
>> However, there are several possibilities for this - maybe there need
>> to be several variables.
>>
>> Result code - e.g. 200, 404 etc for HTTP
>> Success/Fail
>> There is another flag for samplers (can't remember the name off-hand;
>> I think it's only for internal errors).
>>
>> Also, how should Assertion Failures be treated?
>> At present, an Assertion can change the success/fail status of a
>> sample result.
>>
>> If there is only a single variable, should it be set from the original
>> sample status, or should it track the output from Assertions?
>>
>> All this is doable, but would be harder than adding the equivalent of
>> LAST to the If Controller - as well as making the If Controller harder
>> to code, as one would need to express the comparison in JavaScript.
>>
>> So it might be better to start with adding some keyword conditions to
>> the If Controller. e.g. if the string starts with ?, then treat it as
>> a special condition, not JavaScript.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> ?SUCCESS
>> ?FAIL
>> ?CODE=
>>
>> This would be easier than coding
>>
>> "${STATUS}" == "SUCCESS"
>>
>> or whatever.
>>
>> In the longer term, adding variables/functions to get the information
>> would be more flexible.
>>
>> S.
>> On 13/01/06, Noam Paz <no...@db.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Personally I don't find the options of the while controller very intuitive.
>> > I would suggest another approach: adding a built-in status
>> variable to JMeter, just like $? in unix shells.
>> > Then one can use this variable in  the various controllers like
>> the if controller without need to change them.
>> > The status variable will be updated after each request and will
>> have the value 0 for a successfull request or nonzero otherwise.
>> This idea can of course be elaborated (positive values for
>> technical errors, negative values for failing assertions etc.) but
>> I guess zero/nonzero would suffice at first.
>> > Would do you say?
>> >

>> > Best regards / Viele Grüße
>> >
>> > Noam Paz
>> >

>> >             sebb <se...@gmail.com>

>> JMeter Users List <jm...@jakarta.apache.org>
>> >                                                                         cc
>> >
>> Please respond to
>> >
>> "JMeter Users List" <jm...@jakarta.apache.org>                 Subject
>> >
>> Re: How to test if previous sample is successfull ?
>> >

>> > The While Controller has a LAST option:
>> >
>> > http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.
>> html#While_Controller
>> >
>> > I guess it would be useful if the If Controller had it too.
>> >
>> > Might not be too hard to add.
>> >
>> > S.

>> requests conditionally.
>> thread or terminate the whole test.