Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by ContentServ GmbH - Alois Blaimer <ab...@contentserv.com> on 2008/08/21 15:07:57 UTC

Mac OS X: Which libraries to use?

Hello,

I have downloaded the binary and the source distribution of Xerces.

The binary distribution has two *.a and two *.dylib libraries and four
aliases.

The source distribution has (after debug building) two *.dylib libraries
and four aliases.

Now I am confused, which libraries I have to bind to my Mac program?

I am using Mac OS X 10.5.4 and Xcode 3.0.

Alois Blaimer
Developer

RE: Mac OS X: Which libraries to use?

Posted by "Sahoglu, Ozgur" <Oz...@intuit.com>.
Hi Alois,

The answer is: it depends :) If you wanna use static linking, you need
the binary distribution, because you haven't built the static library.
If you wanna link dynamically, you can use both your source distribution
and the binary dist.

There are two sets of libraries. One of them is for deprecated DOM API.
Deprecated DOM is only supported in 2.x version and will not be the part
of 3.x and later. If your application is using deprecated DOM, then you
need to link your application to that library.

I don't know why there are two symbolic links per dynamic library
though, when you build from the source, but I know that both versions
work.

If you're building for Mac OS X, you might also wanna consider building
a Universal binary version that can work both on Intel and PPC
architectures. If you search the archive, you can find instructions on
how to build a universal binary version too.

Cheers,

-Ozgur Sahoglu