Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Chris Whelan <Ch...@systemsandsoftware.net> on 2014/12/16 21:53:55 UTC

Compiling qpid on aix 6.1 with gcc 4.8.2 (or gcc 4.8.3)

Hello,

We have been struggling mightily to get qpid to compile on aix 6.1 with gcc.  We have tried both 4.8.2 and 4.8.3 and the error we have run into is:

/home/dbapi/enquesta_5_0/qpid-cpp-0.30/src/qpid/sys/posix/PosixPoller.cpp:796:2: internal compiler error: in function_and_variable_visibility, at ipa.c:868
}}
  ^
libbacktrace could not find executable to open
Please submit a full bug report,
See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.

This appears to be a problem with gcc itself rather than qpid code, but since we are utilizing the latest version of the gcc compiler I could find for aix and it still does not work, any help in providing a workaround would be greatly appreciated.  My coworker was able to identify the problematic lines.  Two of the errors appear to be related to the use of the PollerHandleDeletionManager (Line 701 and 712) and  Event (Line 729)

PollerHandleDeletionManager.destroyThreadState();  (2 occurrences)
Event event = impl->eventStream.next(timeout);  (1 occurrence)

When he commented out those lines (and additional affected code in the case of the Event line), the compilation of PosixPoller.cpp succeeded.  We surmised that it has something to do with gcc handling of namespaces, but could not come up with a way to get around this issue.  We are planning on trying IBM's xlc compiler, but we have invested a lot of time in this already and would like to avoid xlc licensing costs if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Chris Whelan

RE: Compiling qpid on aix 6.1 with gcc 4.8.2 (or gcc 4.8.3)

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
I have a feeling you're right... will be here waiting ;-)

Posted by Chris Whelan <Ch...@systemsandsoftware.net>.