Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mustafa Sezgin <ms...@internode.on.net> on 2008/05/13 04:58:24 UTC

Understanding SVG Rasterization

Hey all,

I am someone wanting to gain a better understanding of how
the SVG file or DOM model is converted to raster image,
specifically onto a canvas thus RGBA based image. I have
looked into the transcoders but I cant seem to find where
the shapes stored within the DOM tree are actually converted
into the required RGBA format. If you guys could just give
me some information on where I am clearly not looking, that
would be great :)

I am just interested in how Bezier curves and some shapes
are rendered.

Thanks in Advance...

Re: Understanding SVG Rasterization

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Mustafa,

msezgin@internode.on.net wrote on 05/12/2008 10:58:24 PM:

> I am someone wanting to gain a better understanding of how
> the SVG file or DOM model is converted to raster image,
> specifically onto a canvas thus RGBA based image. I have
> looked into the transcoders but I cant seem to find where
> the shapes stored within the DOM tree are actually converted
> into the required RGBA format. If you guys could just give
> me some information on where I am clearly not looking, that
> would be great :)

    We rely mostly on the Java2D API's to convert the
various vector shapes into raster content.  The code
that uses the Java2D API is mostly in the batik.gvt package.

> I am just interested in how Bezier curves and some shapes
> are rendered.

    If you are looking at how to do it with Java2D take a
look at the GVT classes.  If you are looking at how to do
it without a supporting library you will have to look
elsewhere.