Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by David Wall <dw...@Yozons.com> on 2001/10/24 01:50:10 UTC

HTTPS with proxy server not working

I've been having a lot of trouble doing HTTPS with a proxy server using
Apache SOAP 2.2.

I read an article about Apache SOAP 2.0 and its problems and it pointed to a
URL http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/ .  However, since 2.0, Apache
SOAP has added support for SSL and proxy servers.  However, I believe there
may still be a bug that I'm trying to research.  I can only get Apache SOAP
2.2 to work with a proxy server via HTTP.  When I try over HTTPS, it does
not work (my soap client code works fine over HTTPS when there's no proxy
server, only when I set the proxy server does it fail -- and it works with a
proxy if via http).

Because I'm using JSSE, I'm looking at the patch at the URL above that was
associated with JSSE to see how to make Apache SOAP clients work using HTTPS
with a proxy server.  Does anybody understand how proxying over HTTPS "ought
to work"?  That is, is the client supposed to open a connection the proxy
server over HTTP first, give it some info, and then send the SSL-encrypted
data?  Is Apache SOAP supposed to handle this already?

Best regards,
David