Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Anulok <er...@hotmail.com> on 2006/11/20 17:08:29 UTC

Starting JMS broker with J2EE server

I have gone through the steps of configuring the Sun application server to
use the rar file provided with activemq. I have gone through and set up the
connector resources, connect connection pools, and admin object resources,
however, after finishing this how does the JMS broker actually start up? I
figured I needed to stop the domain "domain1" and then start it up again,
but when I did that I didn't see in the asadmin output any indication that
any broker had started and was listening on any port. What step am I missing
here? (I'm not using the "brokerxmlconfig" property, as it said it wasn't
required.)

Re: Starting JMS broker with J2EE server

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On 11/20/06, Anulok <er...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, so let's say I want to run the broker as a separate process by running
> the 'activemq' script, does this imply I don't need to worry about uploading
> the rar file to my app server? Even if I decide to take your advice and run

yes.. it contains the client code that knows how to access the remote broker.

> the broker as a sepearte process will my app server still use it instead of
> the one that comes packaged with it? If anything though, can you answer my

yep.

> question regarding the steps I took with the rar file and the property I
> added to point to the activemq.xml file, did I do that correctly? Am I even
> suppose to see the jms broker start up after restarting the domain?

If logging is properly enabled and the url is correct, I would assume
so.  Also make sure you try to at least a connection from the resource
adapter, the container might lazy load the resource adapter and cause
delayed initialization.

> James.Strachan wrote:
> >
> > To start a broker try running the 'activemq' shell script which is
> > described at the top of the page I just referenced...
> >
> > http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/run-broker.html
> >
> > (asuming you want the broker as a separate process to your application
> > server).
> >
> > No need to specify any arguments - it will use the default configuration
> >
> > On 11/20/06, Anulok <er...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Okay, I've read over the page you gave me, when I run "start-domain
> >> domain1"
> >> I still don't see anything related to the message broker beings started,
> >> this is what I did.......In the connector connection pool for the
> >> activemq-ra-4 resource adapter I went ahead and added an additional
> >> property
> >> called "BrokerXmlConfig" and I gave it the value "file:C:\Program
> >> Files\Java\incubator-activemq-4.0.1\example\conf\activemq.xml" where
> >> everything you see in quotes is exactly what I put in the text field,
> >> perhaps my syntax is wrong? Also note that I didn't actually use quotes
> >> in
> >> the text field I'm only using them in this message to display exactly
> >> what I
> >> typed in the textfield. I figured I'd point it to the same xml file that
> >> the
> >> example programs use because I've run them and know that works. Any
> >> insight
> >> into what I'm doing wrong is appreciated.

> >> server
> >> up
> >> up?
> >> again,
> >> wasn't

> >> --
> >>

> > --
> >
> > James
> > -------
> > http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Starting JMS broker with J2EE server

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 11/20/06, Anulok <er...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, so let's say I want to run the broker as a separate process by running
> the 'activemq' script, does this imply I don't need to worry about uploading
> the rar file to my app server?

Running the broker, runs the broker process (the message broker itself).

The RAR is all about configuring the ActiveMQ JMS client to work
inside a J2EE container so it can work with the MDB stuff

--

James
-------

Posted by Anulok <er...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
BrokerXmlConfig url should look like:

xbean:file:/c:/blaha/blah

Posted by Anulok <er...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 11/20/06, Anulok <er...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have gone through the steps of configuring the Sun application server to
> use the rar file provided with activemq. I have gone through and set up the
> connector resources, connect connection pools, and admin object resources,
> however, after finishing this how does the JMS broker actually start up? I
> figured I needed to stop the domain "domain1" and then start it up again,
> but when I did that I didn't see in the asadmin output any indication that
> any broker had started and was listening on any port. What step am I missing
> here? (I'm not using the "brokerxmlconfig" property, as it said it wasn't
> required.)

See