Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Ryan Ackley <sa...@cfl.rr.com> on 2003/07/02 16:11:15 UTC

CVS sucks (was: "Re: Praveen...your deadline?")

> Andy, is there a better way to get all the newly checked in files?.
> Currently I am going to scratchpad & downloading each .java files
> seperately.

We use a version control system called CVS. The easiest way to get to the
files is to get the files directly through CVS. The easiest way to do this
is to download a GUI client. There is a platform independent one at
http://www.jcvs.org You sound like a CVS newbie. Well so am I. I hate CVS
with a friggin passion. Its like an ancient Unix command line utility thats
been mutated by radiation into a version control system.

Re: CVS sucks (was: "Re: Praveen...your deadline?")

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.

At 12:18 AM 3/07/2003, you wrote:
>CVS is the worst version control system except for everything else*
>
>* may change when Subversion matures.  (then g/CVS/s//Subversion/g)

Man, you should try source safe... yuck.

Perforce and bitkeeper sound reasonable but they're not open source.

If you're on windows and want a good tool to use with CVS then you can't go
too far wrong with tortoise cvs.  Integrated into the explorer shell.  It's
still useful to have the command line for some things but it makes the
every day tasks easier.

Regards,

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au

Re: CVS sucks (was: "Re: Praveen...your deadline?")

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On 7/2/03 10:11 AM, "Ryan Ackley" <sa...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>> Andy, is there a better way to get all the newly checked in files?.
>> Currently I am going to scratchpad & downloading each .java files
>> seperately.
>
> We use a version control system called CVS. The easiest way to get to the
> files is to get the files directly through CVS. The easiest way to do this
> is to download a GUI client. There is a platform independent one at
> http://www.jcvs.org You sound like a CVS newbie. Well so am I. I hate CVS
> with a friggin passion. Its like an ancient Unix command line utility thats
> been mutated by radiation into a version control system.

CVS is the worst version control system except for everything else*

* may change when Subversion matures.  (then g/CVS/s//Subversion/g)

-Andy

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?