Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Blankenship Glenn <g....@rocketmail.com> on 2015/04/26 08:37:49 UTC

No Longer Using OpenOffice

After working hours on my project, then having OpenOffice freeze up and shut down, reopen, “recover” my documents, but then the document not actually being recovered, this will be the last time I use this application.  And, yes, I had it set to auto-backup every 15 minutes, yet somehow it recovered no work I had done today AT ALL!!!!!  When I view the document properties, it shows last being modified 17 hours ago, when I actually completed it about 5 hours ago!!  Frustrated beyond belief!!!!!!

Re: No Longer Using OpenOffice

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 3:37 AM, Blankenship Glenn <g....@rocketmail.com>
wrote:

> After working hours on my project, then having OpenOffice freeze up and
> shut down,

You don´t say which Apache Open Office version. The latest is 4.1.1. If you
had included what operating system and version you´re using (ie Windows 7
Service Pack 1, 32bit or "Windows 8.1 64 bit", or "Apple OSX version such".
together which what AOO version you were using (for example: "AOO 4.0")
THEN your post could have been considered helpful.

> reopen, “recover” my documents, but then the document not actually being
> recovered, this will be the last time I use this application.  And, yes, I
> had it set to auto-backup every 15 minutes,

Something must be malfunctioning on your system. Do you have enough free
space on the system hard disk (where the temp folder is stored). ?. It is
not usual for Apache Open Office -an application that recently turned 12
years, 9 months, 9 days (from the first Open Office 1.0 release), to crash
a lot and then not being able to recover your work.

In any case, like in ALL applications, saving different versions of your
work regularly under different names (revision 1, rev, 2, etc) is highly
recommended.

yet somehow it recovered no work I had done today AT ALL!!!!!  When I view
> the document properties, it shows last being modified 17 hours ago, when I
> actually completed it about 5 hours ago!!  Frustrated beyond belief!!!!!!

I feel there´s a patter here about some people who come to this list, only
to complain about AOO crashing in some bizarre total-failure way, then say
that the program sucks, and that they´re never gonna use this program
again. This helps nobody, not other users, not even the original poster who
has allegedly already decided to stop using the program, yet they feel the
need to get on a high horse and ANNOUNCE to the world that they´re going to
STOP USING IT. Well, yea, whatever floats your boat.

It´s just that a google search for your email address finds not a single
reference. So, the paranoid in me suspects trolling.
Of couse, I´m not accusing you of being a troll, but trolls are out there,
only waiting to be found.

FC (Speaking only for myself, and not related with the AOO team in any way,
just a regular user and advocate).

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: No Longer Using OpenOffice

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well, I always say things like ”I think people are stupid until the
> opposite is proven”, not that I mean it very much, it's just fun to say
> some times… but if the above method really works, then at least some people
> must be really stupid… so I just hope that you are wrong there… :)

FUD is very old in IT circles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

I saw it happen in the 1990s in the CompuServe forums, Microsoft used the
tactic against IBM's OS/2 Warp.

Do a Google search for "Barkto incident".

Barkto incident
http://www.isham-research.co.uk/barkto.html

Then it was repeated against AIM:  Fake security consultant alerting on
dangers of AIM turns out being MS employee

Microsoft Employee's Attempt to Discredit AOL's AIM Backfires
http://www.net4tv.com/voice/Story.cfm?storyID=1335

Microsoft Says Worker Wrote Smear of Rival
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/08/13/business/microsoft-says-worker-wrote-smear-of-rival.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

So, FUD sadly continues to be used. Even in FOSS circles sometimes FUD is
used against corporations that are FOSS players by competitors claiming to
be "community" when they want to wrestle control of a project away from a
firm...

And don't forget another weapon in FUD: sock puppetry...

Even dead people write in support of MS
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20010823&slug=microlob23

BM outed as Microsoft´s sock puppet
https://web.archive.org/web/20110830181115/http://www.catchingflack.com/2007/09/burson-marsteller-outed-as-microsofts-sock-puppet/

The fact that MS got caught red handed a handful of times makes you think
how many times they did the same but didn't get caught. :-/

FC
act
- George Orwell

Re: No Longer Using OpenOffice

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > This mailing list is, as far as I understand, for two main purposes.
> Asking
> > for help and helping other people. I can't see that this post asks for
> any
> > kind of help. Neither can I see that it is likely to ever help anyone, so
> > exactly why did you post it?
> >

> The purpose of FUDsters is filling support forums with posts telling others
> how broken "the software" is and how by attempting to use it, their life
> has become miserable, and they lost time, money, projects and got cancer.
>
> So when a newbie with a slight interest in "the software" does a web search
> and finds the support forum, he seens dozens, better if hundreds, of
> "horror stories" about lives ruined by "the software". He then thinks...
> hmmm, maybe I should try something else, this software surely looks like a
> ticking time bomb!.
>
> "Mission accomplished".
> FC

Well, I always say things like ”I think people are stupid until the
opposite is proven”, not that I mean it very much, it's just fun to say
some times… but if the above method really works, then at least some people
must be really stupid… so I just hope that you are wrong there… :)

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

> On 04/26/2015 03:16 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

>>  After working hours on my project, then having OpenOffice freeze up and
>>> shut down, reopen, “recover” my documents, but then the document not
>>> actually being recovered, this will be the last time I use this
>>> application.  And, yes, I had it set to auto-backup every 15 minutes, yet
>>> somehow it recovered no work I had done today AT ALL!!!!!  When I view
>>> the
>>> document properties, it shows last being modified 17 hours ago, when I
>>> actually completed it about 5 hours ago!!  Frustrated beyond belief!!!!!!
>>>
>>>  This mailing list is, as far as I understand, for two main purposes.
>> Asking
>> for help and helping other people. I can't see that this post asks for any
>> kind of help. Neither can I see that it is likely to ever help anyone, so
>> exactly why did you post it?
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ
>>

>>  I think Glenn was asking for help!  I suggested a different office suite,
> so perhaps I have helped him.

He he… yes, maybe you're right… :P

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.

On 04/26/2015 02:37 AM, Blankenship Glenn wrote:
> After working hours on my project, then having OpenOffice freeze up and shut down, reopen, “recover” my documents, but then the document not actually being recovered, this will be the last time I use this application.  And, yes, I had it set to auto-backup every 15 minutes, yet somehow it recovered no work I had done today AT ALL!!!!!  When I view the document properties, it shows last being modified 17 hours ago, when I actually completed it about 5 hours ago!!  Frustrated beyond belief!!!!!!

Try TextMaker from the SoftMaker Office suite. There is a paid and a
free version. I have the paid version, and I like it. (I have no
connection with the company.)

--doug