Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/04 18:50:22 UTC

AriesTrader used to work ...

.... but not anymore with the recent changes in jndi and transaction.

I understand that the transaction changes were necessitated by the
belief that they were necessary.  However, I can confirm that
declarative transactions were working in AriesTrader before the recent
changes.  So I'm a bit confused if these changes were really necessary.

If you want to see this running for yourself you must do the following:

1) Revert the jndi changes that are causing the lookup to fail for
TradeServicesManager ( rev. 918571 and 917809)
2) Revert the Transaction Manager changes that are causing the
transaction.manager bundle to fail to start (rev. 918977).

Once you revert those 3 changes locally you can get AriesTrader working
again.

--
Joe

Re: AriesTrader used to work ...

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
No, I haven't.  I'll have to look into how to do that.

Joe

--
Joe

Re: AriesTrader used to work ...

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.

Re: AriesTrader used to work ...

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Joe

Re: AriesTrader used to work ...

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org

Re: AriesTrader used to work ...

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org

Re: AriesTrader used to work ...

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ok, so I was just speaking with Tim off line and apparently there is
more to this than I previously understood.

So, I was assuming that the lack of errors meant that things were
working correctly.  Moreover, I noticed that if I attempted to make
changes outside of the scope of the transaction (or if I didn't include
the declarative transaction) then I would see exceptions from the
EntityManager indicating that a transaction was not active.  So, I
wrongly assumed that using the declarative transaction, seeing no
errors, and seeing the data was persisted in the database indicated that
everything was fine.

However, IIUC, there is also the matter of the DataSource being enlisted
in the transaction.  Apparently, without the recent changes the
DataSource itself was not enlisted in the transaction.  And so, while
the transaction covered the interaction with the Entity Manager it did
not extend to the DataSource. (Please correct me if I'm stating this
wrong Tim). If I had actually attempted to rollback the transaction the
DataSource would not have been updated.

Hence, even though I thought AriesTrader was working correctly with
declarative transactions it apparently still had some issues which I
would have discovered if I attempted to rollback one of the transactions.

Joe

--
Joe

Re: AriesTrader used to work ...