Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Johannes Schaback <jo...@visual-meta.com> on 2009/10/21 16:16:05 UTC

Stopping Cassandra gracefully

Hi,

I am currently stopping my (single!) Cassandra node by ctrl+c in my
bash console. From what I believe to know about the internals of
Cassandra is the risk of data loss/inconsistency relatively small. Is
that still correct for stopping Cassadra this way?

Is there a recommended way to shut down cassandra?

Thanks

Johannes

Re: Stopping Cassandra gracefully

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Killing the process is the recommended way.  If you want to be 100%
sure no data that has been acked is lost, use CommitLogSync=batch.
Otherwise, as much as CommitLogSyncPeriodInMS of the most recent
writes may be lost (but in a clustered situation, will be on other
replicas).

More about this kind of system design (called "crash only," meaning
"no graceful shutdown"), if you're curious:
http://lwn.net/Articles/191059/
http://dslab.epfl.ch/pubs/crashonly/crashonly.pdf