Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris Africa <ca...@umich.edu> on 2008/04/16 19:02:27 UTC

[users@httpd] protecting directory with cosign

Hi!

I'm running Apache 2 with Cosign 2.1.0rc1 on MOSX Server 10.5.2. I'm
trying to require Cosign login on a subfolder of my document root, but
Apache appears not to recognize my groups file.

Here's the directive in my :443 virtual host.
	<Directory "/pathtofolder/docroot/myfoldername">
		CosignProtected On
		AuthType Cosign
		AllowOverride AuthConfig
		AuthGroupFile /pathtofolder/notdocroot/okay_groups
		Require group specialpeople
	</Directory>

okay_groups is a single line:
	specialpeople: user1 user2 user3 user4

And here's the error:
	[crit] configuration error:  couldn't check access.  No groups
file?: /myfoldername/index.php

I'm successfully using the above setup on a server running Apache
1.3 / MOSX Server 10.4.11 with mod_auth. The Apache 2 core/base
includes AuthType, AllowOverride, AuthGroupFile and Require, so I've
been presuming that I don't need to load any additional modules.
However, after reading about some trouble experienced by another
admin, I did try -- with no success -- loading mod_authz_user and
mod_auth_basic, which were not loaded by default.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Apple's "Web Technologies
Administration" document was no help, and Googling for the error
didn't return anything directly relevant.

Thank you for your time!

--
Chris Africa
Web Project Manager

Re: [users@httpd] protecting directory with cosign

Posted by Chris Africa <ca...@umich.edu>.
The answer to my problem was here:

http://ammonlauritzen.com/blog/2006/11/20/no-groups-file/

The author of this site mentions that some of the behaviors previously
performed by mod_auth in Apache 1.3 are split into separate modules in
Apache 2. In addition to the modules loaded by default on Leopard
Server, I loaded
	mod_authz_user
	mod_auth_basic
	mod_authz_groupfile