Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Narendra Sharma <na...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/02 17:13:56 UTC

Cassandra 1.1.6 crash without any exception or error in log

8 node cluster running in aws. Any pointers where I should start looking?
No kill -9 in history.

Re: Cassandra 1.1.6 crash without any exception or error in log

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM, Nitin Sharma
<ni...@bloomreach.com>wrote:

> I would recommend always running cassandra with
>  -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutofMemoryError. This dumps out  a *.hprof file if the
> process dies due to OOM

If you do this, be sure to configure the heap dump directory, or ensure
that the running directory of cassandra (often /home/cassandra) is on a
partition with enough free space to hold a dump the size of your heap.

=Rob

Re: Cassandra 1.1.6 crash without any exception or error in log

Posted by Narendra Sharma <na...@gmail.com>.
In this case the Java/Cassandra process never ran out of memory. Rather it
had 20% heap free. It is the OS that ran out of memory. This is the side
effect of running with large heap. I was aware of the Java's inefficiency
wrt large heap but had to keep it due to large bloomfilter. Note we are
still on 1.1.x.

--
*http://narendrasharma.blogspot.com/ <http://narendrasharma.blogspot.com/>*

Re: Cassandra 1.1.6 crash without any exception or error in log

Posted by Nitin Sharma <ni...@bloomreach.com>.

Posted by Narendra Sharma <na...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.