Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Pe...@ubs.com on 2006/11/16 11:27:53 UTC

[M2] Howto Set Up Quickly an Offline Internal Repository?

Hi All

I am building an offline build, I want to verify the hold project is
building in
Maven on a disconnected machine.

I copied my developer machine M2 repository to the isolated server. I
think that
I set up a repository for as an `internal' one.

What is wrong with this ``~/.m2/setting.xml'' file?

<settings xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0"
                      http://maven.apache.org/xsd/settings-1.0.0.xsd">
  <interactiveMode/>
  <usePluginRegistry/>
  <offline/>
  <pluginGroups/>
  <servers/>
  <mirrors>
  </mirrors>
  <proxies/>

  <profiles>
        <profile>
            <id>private-repository</id>
            <repositories>

		<repository>
			<id>blah</id>

<url>file:/home/pilgripe/internal/maven-repository</url>
                        <layout>default</layout>
                        <snapshots>
                                <enabled>true</enabled>
                        </snapshots>
		</repository>

             </repositories>
        </profile>
    </profiles>
    <activeProfiles>
       <activeProfile>private-repository</activeProfile>
    </activeProfiles>
</settings>

Because the message I get is

pilgripe@sldn0868dap [415] > mvn compile
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
----
[INFO] Building PTSP Valuations Schema (XML Beans)
[INFO]    task-segment: [compile]
[INFO]
----

Downloading:
file:/home/pilgripe/internal/maven-repository/xmlbeans/xbean/2.2.0/xbean
-2.2.0.pom
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository blah
(file:/home/pilgripe/internal/maven-repository)
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/xmlbeans/xbean/2.2.0/xbean-2.2.0.pom
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]

Project ID: xmlbeans:xbean

Reason: Error getting POM for 'xmlbeans:xbean' from the repository:
Error transferring file
  xmlbeans:xbean:pom:2.2.0

from the specified remote repositories:
  blah (file:/home/pilgripe/internal/maven-repository)

Clearly the priority order of the repositories is incorrect,
but how do you reorder them?

--
Peter Pilgrim
UBS Investment Bank,

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

related financial instruments.

Re: [M2] Howto Set Up Quickly an Offline Internal Repository?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/16/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:

> This is not good for me, because I am trying to build the project
> on an isolated machine. It cant get access to the Internet.
> BTW: Did Jason give a reason and say why not?

A "remote" repository isn't necessarily physically remote... it could
be on the same box, accessed with a file:/// url, (which looks like
what you're trying to do.)

It's just that you can't pick up a local repository, drop it somewhere
else and expect it to jus work as a <repository>.  That's because a
local repository doesn't have the right metadata (extra xml files) to
function as a remote repository.

Apparently the code in maven-repository-converter can add that missing
metadata, and allow a copy of a developer's local repo to function as
a "remote" repo for a project.

HTH,
--
Wendy

Re: [M2] Howto Set Up Quickly an Offline Internal Repository?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Its a "pretty easy to solve problem" based on previous emails I've
seen on this list and my own analysis (previously sent).

So hopefully they can solve it without much trouble. ;-)

Wayne

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <t....@gmail.com>.
You can look at here:
I wrote in "Moving between Online and Offline environment" how I do it
with proximity on my laptop. It is from Proximity aspect a similar
problem.

http://forum.abstracthorizon.org/viewtopic.php?p=883

Have fun,
~t~

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.
==////==

> On 11/20/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:
>
> > I am generating the maven-metadata.xml files like this one:
> >
> > <metadata>
> >   <groupId>org\apache\maven\plugins</groupId>
>
> Probably unrelated to the other errors, but I think it should
> be org.apache.maven.plugins (dots, not slashes).
>
> Compare to the 'original' in the central repo:
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-c
> lean-plugin/maven-metadata.xml

Thanks Wendy you're a diamond star!!! Really.

--
Peter Pilgrim
UBS Investment Bank,
PTS Portal / IT FIRC OPS LDN,
100 Liverpool Street, London EC2M 2RH, United Kingdom
+44 (0) 20 75 75692
:: Java EE / E-Commerce / Enterprise Integration / Development ::

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

related financial instruments.

RE: [M2] Howto Set Up Quickly an Offline Internal Repository?

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.
Hi

With my local to remote M2 Repo converter tool I hit a crunch. I am
trying
to figure why the maven is going to the internet, even though the
maven-metadata.xml is set correctly. Is there another tag paremeter
in maven-metadata.xml that I am missing?

I do have all the POM/JARs for jetty and the maven-site-plugin in the
right place at least in my internal repository.

Downloading:
http://dist.codehaus.org/org.mortbay.jetty/jars/servlet-api-2.5-6.0.0bet
a12.jar
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Error transferring file
  org.mortbay.jetty:servlet-api-2.5:jar:6.0.0beta12

from the specified remote repositories:
  codehaus (http://dist.codehaus.org),
  apache.snapshots (http://svn.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository),
  snapshots (http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2)
Path to dependency:
        1)
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:maven-plugin:2.0-beta-5
        2) org.mortbay.jetty:jetty:jar:6.0.0beta12
        3) org.mortbay.jetty:servlet-api-2.5:jar:6.0.0beta12

[INFO]
[DEBUG] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Error
transferring file
  org.mortbay.jetty:servlet-api-2.5:jar:6.0.0beta12

from the specified remote repositories:
  codehaus (http://dist.codehaus.org),
  apache.snapshots (http://svn.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository),
  snapshots (http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2)
Path to dependency:
        1)
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:maven-plugin:2.0-beta-5
        2) org.mortbay.jetty:jetty:jar:6.0.0beta12
        3) org.mortbay.jetty:servlet-api-2.5:jar:6.0.0beta12

--
Peter Pilgrim
UBS Investment Bank,
PTS Portal / IT FIRC OPS LDN,
100 Liverpool Street, London EC2M 2RH, United Kingdom
+44 (0) 20 75 75692
:: Java EE / E-Commerce / Enterprise Integration / Development ::

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

related financial instruments.

RE: [M2] Howto Set Up Quickly an Offline Internal Repository?

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.

Thanks Wendy and Wayne.

The tool I wrote yesterday on a Sunday and today seems to be
working fine.

Converting local repository to a remote is not easy, but it is not hard
either. I guess there are some corner cases that I don't understand with
the tag parameters in the maven-metadata.xml file.

It appears that you need the `lastUpdated' tag. I guessed the format of
this field (sic).

   public final static String	PATTERN_LAST_UPDATED="yyyyMMddHHmmss";

    public final static SimpleDateFormat FORMATTER_LAST_UPDATED = new
SimpleDateFormat( PATTERN_LAST_UPDATED );

This was given away by the archiva reporter when I finally did look
closely at the XML report. Also strange things happen with an isolated
machine,
where the typical HTTP ports are blocked. Hmmm

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<metadata>
  <groupId>ant</groupId>
  <artifactId>ant</artifactId>
  <version>1.6.2</version>
  <versioning>
    <latest>1.6.5</latest>
    <release>1.6.5</release>
    <versions>
      <version>1.6.2</version>
      <version>1.6.5</version>
    </versions>
    <lastUpdated>20061120170419</lastUpdated>
  </versioning>
</metadata>
<!--*PP* Mon Nov 20 17:04:19 GMT 2006 -->

Finally some of the maven-metadata.xml from central I think must be same
to avoid some vague Maven plugin dependency errors. I overwrote several
of them,
then scrubbed the internal repo and started again.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/20/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:

> I am generating the maven-metadata.xml files like this one:
>
> <metadata>
>   <groupId>org\apache\maven\plugins</groupId>

Probably unrelated to the other errors, but I think it should be
org.apache.maven.plugins (dots, not slashes).

Compare to the 'original' in the central repo:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-clean-plugin/maven-metadata.xml

--
Wendy

RE: [M2] Howto Set Up Quickly an Offline Internal Repository?

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.

==////==

I have written my own Java utility to convert a local M2 repository to a
remote one.

I am generating the maven-metadata.xml files like this one:

<metadata>
  <groupId>org\apache\maven\plugins</groupId>
  <artifactId>maven-clean-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>2.1</version>
  <versioning>
    <versions>
     <version>2.1</version>
     <version>2.1.1</version>
    </versions>
  </versioning>
</metadata>

I also created the MD5 and SHA-1 files for the maven-metadata.xml using
Brett's
DigestUtils class.

Unfortunately I am still getting this error from mvn -X clean. Why?

Do I need the latest and release tags here?
(http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Repository+Metadata)

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 500
for URL:
http://sldn0868dap.ldn.swissbank.com:9091/internal/maven-repository/org/
apache/maven/plugins/maven-clean-plugin/maven-metadata.xml
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnec
tion.java:814)
        at
org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.http.LightweightHttpWagon.fillInputData
(LightweightHttpWagon.java:85)
        ... 36 more
[DEBUG] maven-clean-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the
latest version

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-clean-plugin:pom:LATEST

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-clean-plugin:pom:LATEST
[DEBUG] maven-clean-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the
release version

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-clean-plugin:pom:RELEASE

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-clean-plugin:pom:RELEASE
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-clean-plugin' does not
exist or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[DEBUG] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: The plugin
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-clean-plugin' does not exist or no valid
version could be found
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(Default
LifecycleExecutor.java:1281)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.getMojoDescriptor(De
faultLifecycleExecutor.java:1517)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.bindLifecycleForPack
aging(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1011)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.constructLifecycleMa
ppings(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:975)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultL
ifecycleExecutor.java:453)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandle
Failures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:306)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:273)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifec
ycleExecutor.java:140)
        at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)
        at
a:39)

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
They aren't shell scripts, actually... they're Ant scripts.

This is from EJ Ciramella:
 <target name="build">
  <checksum algorithm="sha1" forceoverwrite="true">
   <fileset dir=".">
     <include name="**/*.pom"/>
     <include name="**/*.jar"/>
     <include name="**/*.xml"/>
   </fileset>
  </checksum>
     <checksum algorithm="md5" forceoverwrite="true">
   <fileset dir=".">
     <include name="**/*.pom"/>
     <include name="**/*.jar"/>
     <include name="**/*.xml"/>
   </fileset>
  </checksum>
 </target>

And this is from Gunther Popp:
<project name="prepare-repo" basedir="D:\mvn_repos\plugin" default="run">
  <target name="run">
    <move todir="${basedir}" verbose="true">
      <fileset dir="${basedir}">
        <include name="**/maven-metadata-central.*"/>
      </fileset>
      <regexpmapper from="(.*)maven-metadata-central.(.*)"
to="\1maven-metadata.\2"/>
    </move>
  </target>
</project>

You'll need to customize them a little for your specific use, but this
should get you on the right path.

Wayne

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
We've had this discussion before on this list, and I know someone
posted a way to convert a local repo into a "remote" repo with some
shell scripts.

I'll scan my archives but you can get the general idea from looking at
a specific artifact in your local repo vs on ibiblio...

home/.m2/repository/activesoap/jaxp-api/
maven-metadata-central.xml

home/.m2/repository/activesoap/jaxp-api/1.3/
jaxp-api-1.3.jar (.sha1)
jaxp-api-1.3.pom (.sha1)

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/activesoap/jaxp-api/1.3/
jaxp-api-1.3.jar (.md5, .sha1)
jaxp-api-1.3.pom (.md5, .sha1)
maven-metadata.xml (.md5, .sha1)

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/activesoap/jaxp-api/maven-metadata.xml
(local repo maven-metadata-central.xml file looks identical)
  <metadata>
  <groupId>activesoap</groupId>
  <artifactId>jaxp-api</artifactId>
  <version>1.3</version>
  <versioning>
  <versions>
  <version>1.3</version>
  </versions>
  </versioning>
  </metadata>

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/activesoap/jaxp-api/1.3/maven-metadata.xml
  <metadata>
  <groupId>activesoap</groupId>
  <artifactId>jaxp-api</artifactId>
  <version>1.3</version>
  </metadata>

The file maven-metadata-central.xml should be simply renamed to
maven-metadata.xml in the directory up from the version. Then we need
to generate a metadata file with the groupId, artifactId, and version
and put it in the directory with the jar and pom. Finally we need to
generate md5 and sha1 for all files.

I'm not saying this is 100% trivial etc, but its not that terribly
difficult, and I know most of it has been handled in shell scripts
posted to this list.

You can also try setting up a quick Maven Proxy (Proximity), pulling
your project dependencies etc through it, and then using the proxy as
your remote repo. This is probably the "quickest" solution at this
point.

Your primary problem is the "quickly" aspect. Cheap, correct, or quick
-- your choice, and Maven is already free and correct so you don't get
quick. ;-)

Wayne

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/16/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:

> Hi. Is there any type of documentation for the maven-repository-builder
> ?

No, I already asked.  Apparently the code was pulled out of the
assembly plugin, and is used to test the eclipse plugin.

So you might find some hints in the eclipse plugin tests.

--
Wendy

RE: [M2] Howto Set Up Quickly an Offline Internal Repository?

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.
Hi. Is there any type of documentation for the maven-repository-builder
?

--
Peter Pilgrim
UBS Investment Bank,
PTS Portal / IT FIRC OPS LDN,
100 Liverpool Street, London EC2M 2RH, United Kingdom
+44 (0) 20 75 75692
:: Java EE / E-Commerce / Enterprise Integration / Development ::

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

related financial instruments.

RE: [M2] Howto Set Up Quickly an Offline Internal Repository?

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.

Please forgive my SVN ignorance. Wendy, you are correct.
svn checkout
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/maven-repository-builder
maven-repository-builder

So basically compile and build this thing and run it against the
maven-repository that
I uploaded to the isolated box. Cool! I like it.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/16/06, Peter.Pilgrim@ubs.com <Pe...@ubs.com> wrote:

> > Correction... it's maven-repository-builder, in the sandbox:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/maven-repository-builder/
> >
> How do I check it out for building?
>
> svn checkout
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/maven-repository-builder/t
> runk maven-repository-builder
> svn: URL
> 'http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/maven-repository-builder
> /trunk' doesn't exist

Where are you getting 'trunk'?  It's here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/maven-repository-builder/

(Or https:// if you prefer.)

--
Wendy

RE: [M2] Howto Set Up Quickly an Offline Internal Repository?

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.

==///==
--
Peter Pilgrim
UBS Investment Bank,
PTS Portal / IT FIRC OPS LDN,
100 Liverpool Street, London EC2M 2RH, United Kingdom
+44 (0) 20 75 75692
:: Java EE / E-Commerce / Enterprise Integration / Development ::

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

related financial instruments.

RE: [M2] Howto Set Up Quickly an Offline Internal Repository?

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.
Cheers!

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

> I asked on IRC, and a local repository can't simply be copied and
> repurposed as a remote repository.  Jason suggested looking at the
> 'repository-assembler' in the shared module, which can convert a local
> repo into a remote one by adding the missing metadata.

Correction... it's maven-repository-builder, in the sandbox:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/maven-repository-builder/

--
Wendy

RE: [M2] Howto Set Up Quickly an Offline Internal Repository?

Posted by Pe...@ubs.com.

Yes would be good if it worked.

I have been trying to configure it on my developer machine. I am
having a bitch of time trying to get Archiva working on the
Apache/Tomcat server we have here.

The archiva war is failing to start up and I don't know why yet.
Nothing in the tomcat logs. I thought it was a reject servlet 2.2 lib
then I removed it.

Does Archiva convert the local repository into a remote repository.

> http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-mirror-settings.html

Thanks I will take a look

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.