Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by steve222 <st...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/22 20:44:55 UTC

Wicket AJAX update form TextField value from another field

Hi.  Hopefully I can explain this scenario OK - I'll try to keep it simple.

On a form, I have a couple of TextFields - SalePrice and DiscountAmount.

After the user enters SalePrice, I need a way to allow the user to enter the
DiscountAmount as either a flat rate or as a percentage of the SalePrice.

For example, if entered SalePrice is 1000, the user could enter a flat
DiscountAmount of 200.00.  Or they could enter 20%.  I'd like the option to
do either since SalePrice might be 8,745 and the discount 2.75% or something
(so hard to just calculat the true cash amount).  Or it might just really be
a flat £200 in which case hard to calculate the %.

In a traditional app where I'm writing the JavaScript, I can think of
various ways to do this involving extra fields for flatrate and/or % - then
updating the real DiscountAmount field when the "dummy" fields change.

But I'm trying to work out an elegant way with Wicket/AJAX - without too
much success so far.

Any suggestions - or links to similar examples?  Ideally, the fewer extra
dummy fields the better.

Thanks.

Re: Wicket AJAX update form TextField value from another field

Posted by steve222 <st...@gmail.com>.
But not for the field where the model does not have a setter (hibernate POJO
- and no field in the database, just a formula).

Fairly obvious why that's not going to work for an update - but I can't
think of a solution on how to change the calculated value just to show it on
the form.

Steve

Posted by steve222 <st...@gmail.com>.
Ooops - my error.

Posted by steve222 <st...@gmail.com>.
Many thanks for the detailed answer.

I don't think the single field AbsoluteOrPercentage idea will work for me
without a lot of other changes.  I use the same form for editing a record as
creating a new one.  So I actually need to show both the AbsoluteDiscount
and PercentageDiscount on the form at the same time - user enters % during
initial entry, he needs to see % on later edit, etc.  Both fields need to be
editable, with the one that doesn't get edited being calculated.  But thanks
for the idea and the detail on how to implement this.

I've been attempting to do it with separate fields for AbsoluteDiscount and
PercentageDiscount - but it does not work for me.  My model object used in
the form does not have setters for the calculated field PercentageDiscount -
just a getter to display the calculated % value.  So I can't update this.

And it seems I can't update the fields anyway since the need to be final

Posted by jWeekend <jw...@cabouge.com>.
Steve,

Posted by steve222 <st...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.  I now have this fully working now with a customised model class
containing a setter to store the calculated field if upated from the Wicket
form.

Will look at FormComponentPanel - thanks for the suggestion.

Steve

Posted by Timo Rantalaiho <Ti...@ri.fi>.

Posted by steve222 <st...@gmail.com>.
Maybe I should have stated I have tried something like this.  I have data
entry TextFields for:

  SalePrice
  DiscountAmount

then add another for:

  DiscountPercentage

When I enter an amount into DiscountAmount I need DiscountPercentage to get
calculated and update on the form.  And it should also work the other way
around - enter DiscountPercentage and DiscountAmount gets updated.

But DiscountPercentage does not have a setter in my model - just a getter
(it's calculated for viewing only and does not get persisted anywhere).  So
I get errors when Wicket attempts to update the model.

And if I enter an an amount in DiscountPercentage and attempt to update the
value for DiscountAmount then I can't update this either since I don't want
to persist the form until all the other fields are entered.

I am using the same form for creating a new record and editing an existing
one, so when doing a new record I don't have mandatory fields filled when
I'm entering the Discount stuff.

Steve