Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> on 2012/07/23 15:39:15 UTC

bandwidth limiting with trafficserver?

Hi

has apache traffic server the ability to limit
bandwidth like mod_bw.so for httpd?

the reason is that i plan to move high-traffic-sites
with many images to the reverse-proxy while other
domains and services will stay on the origin-servers
and restrict only outgoing bandwith while it can
pull contents from the origin still with 10 Gigabit

now we have 100 Mbit bandwith and i would like to
restrict these sites to only use 90 Mbit to serve
other machines well at peaks

nice to have would also to exlude the internal LAN
____________________

i found this here but not sure if there are better options
and i if thsi is the best one i would be glad if anybody
has a systemd-unit (Fedora >= 16)

http://www.iplocation.net/tools/traffic-control.php

Re: bandwidth limiting with trafficserver?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
well, here a systemd-unit for eth0/192.168.1.4 for
limit outgoing traffic to 90Mbit, since it lives
in /etc/ it is fine to hardcode here......

[root@proxy:/etc/systemd/system]$ cat /etc/systemd/system/bandwith.service
[Unit]
Description=Traffic-Shaping
After=network.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=yes
ExecStart=/sbin/tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 30
ExecStartPost=/sbin/tc class add dev eth0 parent 1: classid 1:2 htb rate 90mbit
ExecStartPost=/sbin/tc filter add dev eth0 protocol ip parent 1:0 prio 1 u32 match ip src 192.168.1.4 flowid 1:2
ExecStop=/sbin/tc qdisc del dev eth0 root

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

--

Reindl Harald