Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Se...@ardatis.com on 2005/03/24 08:21:33 UTC

maven roadmap - should i stay or should i go

Hi all,

In a project I am currently working on - which is just about to start with
the construction phase -  we are considering to use maven. I have been
encountering maven in previous projects as well and based on these
experiences i was quite sure I will use it on many others as well.

However when i see the new roadmap description on maven site :

<<<<<<Maven 2.0 is a complete rewrite. It will not be backwards compatible
with any of the Maven 1.x releases>>>>>>,

i am having doubts on what exactly should we do right now.

To take off with the current release (1.0.2) and wait for a complete
rewrite of our build scripts? How "complete" will that rewrite actually
have to be? All what the explanation in the roadmap leaves us with is a
bit of hope that  attempts will be made to stay backward compatible in the
new 2.0 release. What about the "conceptual approach", how many things can
we expect to be different, new or completely dissapear  (multiproject,
repository, ...goals)?

Could someone point me to a document/person that can give a bit more of
vision/explanation concerning these issues? What would  you suggest to a
project that is just about to jump into maven?

Thanks.

-Sejo

Re: maven roadmap - should i stay or should i go

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
> Arg I want Maven 2 now :)

Be patient, good things come to those who wait :)

> Just kidding, keep up the great work guys, but it's a long wait to Maven
> 2 it seems. Can you enlighten us as to the major road blocks you're
> encountering with Maven 2 ?

It has almost entirely been available time of the developers.

- Brett

Re: maven roadmap - should i stay or should i go

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:

>Vincent has pretty well summed it up. I will try to clarify the document.
>
>Though the basic concepts are the same, Maven 2.x is really quite
>different, and it will require some work to move a project over to it.
>How much depends on how heavily you customise your Maven 1.x project -
>if you stick to the defaults and don't use Jelly, then it should be
>quite simple.
>
>Maven 1.x will still be developed until Maven 2.x is production ready
>(which is not going to be until later this year).

Arg I want Maven 2 now :)

Just kidding, keep up the great work guys, but it's a long wait to Maven
2 it seems. Can you enlighten us as to the major road blocks you're
encountering with Maven 2 ?

Regards,
  Serge Huber.

Re: maven roadmap - should i stay or should i go

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.
Gosh this Maven 2 is beginning to sound really good !

Now the waiting will be even harder :)

cheers,
  Serge...

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.net>.
Brett Porter wrote:

>>Huh... Exactly how much trouble are we talking about to switch custom
>>plugins and such??? Is Jelly replaced?
>>

>Yes, though we are trying hard to put in a replacement that can
>transparently run old Jelly scripts with minimal changes. Part of the
>problem is that people have come to rely on bugs in Jelly/Jexl/Maven
>for their scripts to work.

Will there be a facility in the new (maven 2) POM to specify the default
goals required to build the artifact (either fully stated ${pom.goals}
or determined by some other variable ${pom.type}?). Also will there be
a means to specify plugins and their minimum version requirements
in the dependencies?  I think I caught talk about even specifying the
difference in dependencies between build/run/test/cactus/integration time,
is this categorization the ability I'm looking for?

/* Joakim Erdfelt */

Re: maven roadmap - should i stay or should i go

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:

>http://maven.apache.org/using/bestpractices.html#Scripting

Oops sorry... I didn't check out the new content yet :)

Regards,
  Serge Huber.

Posted by Milos Kleint <Mi...@Sun.COM>.
I've added a maven plugin project template into Mevenide for Netbeans.
It creates a project with plugin files, you have code completion in the
plugin.jelly file etc.

Regards

Milos Kleint

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Molloy <sm...@convera.com>.
OK, that is usually simple stuff anyway.

Thanks for the relief... ;-)

Steve

Posted by Nicolas Chalumeau <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Molloy <sm...@convera.com>.