Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by John Hicks <ja...@gulfbridge.net> on 2002/06/19 11:31:21 UTC

JSTL: Questions re: Release 1.0

Hi All--

A little clarification needed on the status of JSTL
releases...

Well, I thought I was already working with Release 1.0. I
downloaded the JSTL package on 5/13/02. Its README stated
it was Release 1.0. The files were all dated 5/10/02.

Now I see that Release 1.0 Release Candidate 1 has been
released, so I am wondering what release I have been
working with.

Is there anyway to find out the differences between the
5/10 release and this week's release (so I'll have a
general of idea of whether and how my system will break if
I install it)?

Also, is there any later documentation than the proposed
final draft specification dated April 15, 2002?

Thanks in advance,

--John

Re: JSTL: Questions re: Release 1.0

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, John Hicks wrote:

> A little clarification needed on the status of JSTL releases...
>
> Well, I thought I was already working with Release 1.0. I downloaded
> the JSTL package on 5/13/02. Its README stated it was Release 1.0. The
> files were all dated 5/10/02.
>
> Now I see that Release 1.0 Release Candidate 1 has been released, so I
> am wondering what release I have been working with.

To be honest, I've had the same confusion at different points.  This work
is all the "Standard Taglib 1.0" branch; you were using Beta2, and now
we've posted Release Candidate 1.  The changes are not major; for
instance, the same expression-language syntax works.  In fact, by and
large, the substantial differences between the two releases involve mainly
bug fixes.

> Also, is there any later documentation than the proposed final draft
> specification dated April 15, 2002?

Yes, the final JSTL 1.0 standard has been released; you can download it
from

  http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl

Before announcing our implementation's availability more widely, we're
waiting until licensing arrangements are worked out, and the final
Standard Taglib 1.0 release is posted at Jakarta Taglibs.  Once that
happens, we'll inform this list, as well as other Jakarta mailing lists.

Hope that helps,

--
Shawn Bayern
(coming in July 2002 from Manning Publications)