Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Biesbrock, Kevin" <Bi...@aoins.com> on 2011/04/15 17:13:47 UTC

Velocity Inclusion in JSP

There seem to be plenty of documents outlining how to include a jsp in a
velocity template, but not the other way around.  I am having a
difficult time finding information on how to include a Velocity template
in a JSP.  I recognized the s:component tag could work, but my templates
are not currently in my template (or "theme") folder and I feel like
they don't belong there because they are specific to my app, not the
chosen theme.  I don't have enough time with the schedule of our
application to go back and convert all of the JSPs to Velocity
templates.

So one solution I thought of would be to create an action that returns
the Velocity result...but I don't really know how I feel about this
approach:
<action name="getTemplate_*">
<result type="velocity">/WEB-INF/myVelocityTemplates/{1}.vm</result>
</action>

I would appreciate any guidance on this.

d[-_-]b \m/
Beez

RE: Velocity Inclusion in JSP

Posted by "Biesbrock, Kevin" <Bi...@aoins.com>.
From: Dave Newton [mailto:davelnewton@gmail.com]
> Do the templates use the same models as the web layer?

Actually, it would have been good to note that the contact information
is hard-coded.  So there is no need for a model.  I literally just need
to include a block of html-/css-formatted text.

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Biesbrock, Kevin wrote:
> So I have a block of contact information that we would like to appear similarly whenever it's displayed.  So on our home page, on a printable confirmation page, or in a generated email -- it should always appear the same.  Yesterday I emailed this group about this a little bit (and forgot to mention the context in this email), titled: 'Reading .properties From Top-Level Package'.  Eric Lents suggested:
>
>> E-mail and Velocity are like peanut butter and jelly.
>
> So I found documentation on how to compile a Velocity template in a java class but cannot find anything that would show my e.g. contact block on the homepage.  So I thought *maybe* the best approach would be to use an s:action tag that returned a Velocity result of the template I requested.
>
> In terms of my email, I can use Velocity to generate the email with no problem -- and can even include, toward the bottom, the contact block.
>
> Does that help identify my use-case a little more clearly?

Yep.

Do the templates use the same models as the web layer? If so, seems
like direct rendering would be *much* more efficient.

Dave

Re: Velocity Inclusion in JSP

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
Seems like a JSP-based custom tag would be the easiest, but I don't
actually know what your template requirements are, so it's tough to
say.

What's the use-case?

Dave