Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Saurabh Goyal <sr...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/28 10:27:23 UTC

Contributing to the community.

Hi, I am Saurabh Goyal a third year undergraduate student in Indian
Institute of Technology Varanasi. I was looking forward to contribute to
Stratosphere as it involves work in my field of interest like machine
learning.

I have taken a course in Machine learning on Coursera by Andrew Ng
(Stanford) and was very much eager to find an application of it. Also I
have been through data science courses(R programming and getting and
cleaning data). Side by side i started reading Probabilistic Graphical
Models by Stanford on Coursera. As this community uses ML for its
development I would like to know in what ways I can work for the betterment
of the community.

I request you to guide me on any project that may match my skill and
knowledge. I am willing to read more on any topic you may ask which may be
required for the development in the project.

Programming languages - java, cpp, c, R, octave.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Yours Sincerely,
Saurabh Goyal.

Re: Contributing to the community.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@apache.org>.
Hi Saurabh,

thanks a lot for getting in touch!
Part of Flink's mission is to provide excellent support for machine
learning algorithms. However, Flink does not include a library of machine
learning algorithms (yet). However, there are efforts to add Flink support
to Apache Mahout's linear algebra DSL [1].

I would suggest to have a look at our contributors guide [2] and check out
the starter issues in JIRA [3].

Best, Fabian

[1] http://mahout.apache.org/users/sparkbindings/home.html
[2] http://flink.incubator.apache.org/how-to-contribute.html