Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Scott Gifford <sg...@suspectclass.com> on 2009/09/17 16:31:49 UTC

Shared working directory for deployment

Hello,

We have working copy we use as a deployment area for our PHP Web
application.  Generally we do development on a test server, then when
it is ready I cd to "/var/www/app_name" on the production server and
run "svn update" to switch to the new version.  This has worked fine
for quite a while.

Recently another developer needed to update the working copy used for
deployment on the production server.  The code files are all
group-writable by a group we are both in, so I didn't expect this to
be a problem.  When he ran the update, though, he got all sorts of
permissions errors on the files in the .svn directory.  I was able to
manually adjust the permissions so that the update worked for him, but
I suspect these permission changes won't apply to new directories
checked out, etc.

I was wondering if there was a supported way for multiple users in the
same Unix group to share a working copy?  Or is this unsupported and
we should figure out some other way to manage our deployment
directory?

Thanks for any suggestions,

----Scott.

Re: Shared working directory for deployment

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:31:49PM -0400, Scott Gifford wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a supported way for multiple users in the
> same Unix group to share a working copy?  Or is this unsupported and
> we should figure out some other way to manage our deployment
> directory?

You might have had a process updating the working copy which
ran with a restrictive umask.

Generally speaking, I don't think that using Subversion as a
distribution and deployment tool is such a good idea. While
it might work most of the time, the primary focus is on version
control. Deployment should be handled by running 'svn export' to
retrieve a given state of your project from Subversion, and then
use any mechanism you like (e.g. rsync) to put the exported files
and directories where they need to be.

Stefan