Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2002/09/11 15:37:04 UTC

[String] stablizing release

I'm at a touch of a quandry.

String taglib is dependent on Commons Lang, and I want to avoid releasing
String until there is a Lang release.

So lots of users are dependent on the nightly build of String.

I want to make some, not massive, but substantial changes to the taglib's
API, and also to make an attempt at adding JEL to it. I don't want to
'break' on customers though.

What I'm considering is some form of stable release, calling it a beta
feels bad, but that's what it would be, a 1.0-b1, prior to making changes
for a 1.0-b2, which would then hopefully mature to a 1.0 release.

Before I call a vote on it, does anyone have any advice about other ways
to do this etc?

Hen

Re: [String] stablizing release

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Definitely a milestone then.

I'm going to be throwing away a lot of tags, ie)

upperCase, lowerCase, capitalise, capitaliseAllWords, uncapitlaise all
roll into the <case> tag.

There are people who will be in pain if they find out that they've
suddenly been upgraded and that all the nightly's now have the new code,
so I want to make the old bits available, but I don't want to have a 1.1
that has to worry itself heavily about backwards compatibility.

Hen

XTags Question

Posted by Tod Thomas <tt...@chubb.com>.
I'm using the XTags style tag like so:

<xtags:style
 xml="http://localhost/cgi-bin/test.cgi"
 xsl="/xml/ldap.xsl"
 outputMethod="html"/>

test.cgi performs a search and streams the results back as XML which
transforms to HTML as expected.  When I try to use this:

<xtags:style

xml="http://localhost/cgi-bin/test2.cgi?base=directory&scope=sub&filter=cn=smith"
 xsl="/xml/ldap.xsl"
 outputMethod="html"/>

it fails.  I've tried encoding the passed URL and that fails too.
Should this work?  Should I be using a form instead of trying to pass
everything in the URL?  If not how can I get dynamic XML on the remote
server transformed and presented on the Tomcat server?  Cocoon right now
is not an option.

Thanks - Tod.

XTags Question - Please help

Posted by Tod Thomas <tt...@chubb.com>.
I posed this question a couple weeks ago and didn't' get a response.
I'm relatively new to this and just want to make sure I understand
conceptually how the XTags taglib is supposed to work.

What I'm getting from the docs is that I should be able to call a
remote, XML streaming, cgi program (or static xml page) and have it
transformed locally on the Tomcat server, rendering HTML to the client.

This works:

<xtags:style
 xml="http://localhost/cgi-bin/test.cgi"
 xsl="/xml/ldap.xsl"
 outputMethod="html"/>

test.cgi performs a search and streams the results back as XML which
transforms to HTML as expected.

This doesn't:

<xtags:style

xml="http://localhost/cgi-bin/test2.cgi?base=directory&scope=sub&filter=cn=smith"
 xsl="/xml/ldap.xsl"
 outputMethod="html"/>

Is there another way I should be passing the environment variables to
test2.cgi rather than in the URL?  Should this even work?  Am I missing
something?

Thanks - Tod.

Re: [String] stablizing release

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
+1 also, the String taglib has been around for a while
Though never officially released I am sure many depend on it now.

Posted by Timothy Kettering <ti...@mac.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by Tim Kettering <ti...@mac.com>.
Now that he mentions this, I like this idea.  I think it would be a good
idea to push out a 1.0 release based on the code we have now because it
would offer a point release based on code that's known to be stable and has
no current bugs on it (at least according to bugzilla).  We can't really
make that same promise immediately after we do the tags consolidation, so it
appears to me that it would be a more pragmatic approach if we release a 1.0
release based on the current code, then do the code consolidation.

My only concern with this strategy is that since Hen's planning on some
massive changes and consolidation of the tags to make it more streamlined,
in other words, big changes in how the tags are named, and what attributes
they will have, it appears to me that a "1.1" release wouldn¹t accurately

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Hey Glenn,

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
JSTL requires JSP 1.2, but I don't know if JEL does. Shawn? Unsure if it's
possible to add JEL via the EvaluationExpression [sp] class without tying
to 1.2. Another option is to port JEL to 1.1. Again, Shawn?

I'd obviously like to avoid an STLString taglib, but forcing 1.2 is even
worse.

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Thanks Glenn,
>
> This is all done. The tag is string-1-0. I didn't see anything relating
> to:
>
> "Set the <taginfo> or <ctlxinfo> state attribute for your taglib or ctlx
> to released."

The taglibs main page was changed, those are no longer needed.  Thanks
for reporting this, I have updated the addtaglib document.

> Hows that look?

Good, except your news tag wasn't closed which broke the build.  Fixed. :-)

Glenn

Re: [String] stablizing release

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Thanks Glenn,

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Henri,

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Hi Glenn,

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Henri Yandell wrote:

> What I'm considering is some form of stable release, calling it a beta
> feels bad, but that's what it would be, a 1.0-b1, prior to making
> changes for a 1.0-b2, which would then hopefully mature to a 1.0
> release.

What about a "milestone" release?  I'm not sure what the convention is for
milestones and dependencies, but it seems like a good step.

--
Shawn Bayern