Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org> on 2013/10/28 23:55:34 UTC

[dev] Validating format and size of a public key in the SSHKeyDeployment class

Currently we don't do any kind of ssh key validation inside
the SSHKeyDeployment class.

I think it would be useful to do the following:

1. Validate the SSH key format and make sure it's valid.
2. Validate size of the RSA keys and error out on potentially weak (<= 1024
bits) keys. This would be done to increase security consciousness and
discourage people from using weak keys.

Here is a very quick and simple prototype -
https://github.com/apache/libcloud/pull/170

Do you think something like this would be a useful addition to the core?

Re: [dev] Validating format and size of a public key in the SSHKeyDeployment class

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.
Yeah, I do agree that there is a fine line between what Libcloud should be
responsible for and what not.

As far as those two points go:

1. I think public key validation is not much different than any other
argument validation we do.

2. Yes, this one is debatable :)

We personally can't (and shouldn't) try to protect our users from every
potentially dangerous thing they can do, but I think that warning users
about installing potentially weak key is something we can do with a very
little effort so we probably should do it.

Posted by Jerry Chen <je...@apache.org>.