Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/12/03 12:11:27 UTC

[Ws Wiki] Update of "FrontPage/Woden/APIReview/OneWsdlApi" by JohnKaputin

Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by JohnKaputin:
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Woden/APIReview/OneWsdlApi

The comment on the change is:
Added another comment about the Component and Element APIs

   * The Element API ({{{org.apache.woden.wsdl20.xml}}}) describes the XML infoset representation of the Component model.

  The Component API is read-only and is aimed at WSDL consumers. The Element API is read/write, aimed at WSDL authors or editors.  The Woden implementation provides only one underlying WSDL object model for these two APIs. The APIs are just different views of the same objects.  So it’s simple to move between the views depending on your needs (i.e. consuming service information only versus manipulating the XML infoset).  The Component interfaces provide a {{{toElement()}}} method to change to the XML infoset view of a WSDL object and the {{{DescriptionElement}}} interface provides the {{{toComponent()}}} method to show the component model derived from a {{{<wsdl:description>}}}.
+
+ As the Woden API has evolved we have seen more overlap between the Component and Element APIs that was envisaged when this initial split was conceived. The Element API was not sufficient in its original form as a pure infoset view. For example, if a WSDL element contained a QName attribute referring to another element, then an accessor method that returned the QName value was sometimes not as useful as a method that returned the object identified by that QName. As we started adding more of the latter type of method to the Element API, it started to look more like the Component API.

  One proposal is to combine both APIs into a single WSDL API that serves both purposes; a logical component model and an infoset syntax model.  Through Woden’s adopters so far, we have already seen value in the Component model. With our focus on the W3C WSDL2 spec effort to June 2007, we have not yet considered in any depth if/how the Element API might be used and we don’t yet know of any Woden adopters doing WSDL2 authoring or editing. So we can’t yet claim any demonstrated value in having the Element API (at least, not in having a separate infoset API).