Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es> on 2007/05/15 11:59:47 UTC

Reviewing bugs for the release

Hi all,

I did a small search on all open bugs for 1.4.

http://tinyurl.com/2r482h (that is one reason I hate bugzilla the url
had a length of 1269 characters!).

IMO there is no blocker in there anymore that cannot wait till 1.4.1. I
think we should to roll up a rc to get the beast out of the door.

wdyt?

salu2

Re: Reviewing bugs for the release

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 09:58 -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I did a small search on all open bugs for 1.4.
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2r482h (that is one reason I hate bugzilla the url
> > had a length of 1269 characters!).
> >
> > IMO there is no blocker in there anymore that cannot wait till 1.4.1. I
> > think we should to roll up a rc to get the beast out of the door.
> >
> > wdyt?
> >
> > salu2
> >

> Should we review the bugs that are open for trunk as well? I know that
> is what I usually ended up choosing since technically there isn't a 1.4
> release yet.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2teoqt

Good point. I agree we should use the url you have provide for the
review.

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 12:16 +0200, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I did a small search on all open bugs for 1.4.
> >
> >http://tinyurl.com/2r482h (that is one reason I hate bugzilla the url
> >had a length of 1269 characters!).
> >
> >IMO there is no blocker in there anymore that cannot wait till 1.4.1. I
> >think we should to roll up a rc to get the beast out of the door.
> >
> >wdyt?
> >

> +1
>
> As a note I think we shouldn't cancel RCs anymore just because more bugs
> might show up in the meantime, but rather collect
> them together with possible bug showing up within the RC and try to fix
> them or the next RC.

I agree. In forrest we did the same for the last release. We found a
blocker, fixed it and rolled a new RC.

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 13:12 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>> What does that mean about the proxying issue?
>>> Do we already have a decent documentation what can be done and how?
>>
>> Actually the recent threads make a nice document but someone needs to
>> hack it together (be it in the wiki or preferable in our documentation).
>>
>> As I understood the problematic there is no easy fix for this issue
>> meaning we should not risk anything and state clearly about the limited
>> support as recommend by Richard and others.
>
> proxy support in lenya is broken and not fixable for 1.4.0.
>
> it *is* possible to use external means (mod_rewite + mod_proxy) to at
> least pipe apache requests through to a jetty on localhost, but the
> following is not possible (or at least i haven't been able to do it):
>
> * present the authoring interface via an ssl-enabled vhost without
> using the root context (i.e. no other services can easily be used on
> that host)
> * hide the lenya-specific <pubid>/<area>/ path components of the URLs.
>
> even when using the authoring interface in the root context of an ssl
> proxy, some things are subtly broken (user management etc.). i could
> not reproduce these issues on a default installation yet, but my
> custom publications show them...

I agree with this. I have found a few mixed content problems that
probably should be fixed. My technology release office is still dragging
their feet on my CLA.

Re: Reviewing bugs for the release

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

Kurt is up in heaven now.

Re: Reviewing bugs for the release

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 14:26 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler schrieb:
> > If we agree that we do not have any urgent issues right now then we
> > announce the code freeze. Blocker issues that we may find in a RC can be
> > fixed in trunk as usual (without lifting the freeze)
>
> What if the fix requires fundamental or critical changes?
> Should the freeze be extended?

Actually fundamental or critical changes should not happen in the
release cycle. The freeze by definition is till we have a final release.

> [...]
>
> >>  But if we mention the issue to the release notes, it might
> >> be reasonable to do the RC.
> >
> > A blocker cannot go into a release, the proxy issue for example is not a
> > blocker since it is partly working.
>
> OK, then we should change its status in Bugilla accordingly.

Actually all bugs (besides 42364) have they status as not critical,
where I am ATM a wee bit unsure about 34994 (not having dav support is a
pity).

> > It is a known issue and we should list it in the release notes.
> >
> >> BTW, our release mgmt guidelines [1] aren't very specific about this
> >> case ("If tests fail, then ...").
> >> According to the wiki [2], blockers and critical bugs must be fixed
> >> before the release.
> >
> > Yes, since we consider them as critical (e.g. core operations) like e.g.
> > you cannot login.
> >
> > Makes sense?
>
> Sure, I was just confused by the "blocker" status of the proxying bug.
> BTW, we have another critical one (42364). Should we update its status
> as well?

Actually this is a blocker and needs to be addressed in the rc.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier schrieb:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>> A blocker cannot go into a release, the proxy issue for example is
>>> not a blocker since it is partly working.
>
> -1
>
> the proxy stuff is totally broken.
>
>> OK, then we should change its status in Bugilla accordingly.
>
> we could decide it's not a critical feature (errr),

-1, that would just harm our credibility.

> or admit defeat and
> release even though it's a critical feature (hurts, but seems the most
> honest approach to me).

+1, getting the release out has top priority.
If we include it in the roadmap for 1.4.1, we probably won't scare
people away who consider flexible proxying vital.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Reviewing bugs for the release

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> A blocker cannot go into a release, the proxy issue for example is
>> not a blocker since it is partly working.

-1

the proxy stuff is totally broken.

> OK, then we should change its status in Bugilla accordingly.

we could decide it's not a critical feature (errr), or admit defeat and

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler schrieb:
> On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 13:12 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Michael Wechner schrieb:

>> +1
>>
>> What does that mean about the proxying issue?
>> Do we already have a decent documentation what can be done and how?
>
> Actually the recent threads make a nice document but someone needs to
> hack it together (be it in the wiki or preferable in our documentation).

OK, does anyone have the knowledge and time to do this?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 13:12 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Michael Wechner schrieb:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I did a small search on all open bugs for 1.4.
> >> http://tinyurl.com/2r482h (that is one reason I hate bugzilla the url
> >> had a length of 1269 characters!).
> >>
> >> IMO there is no blocker in there anymore that cannot wait till 1.4.1. I
> >> think we should to roll up a rc to get the beast out of the door.
> >>
> >> wdyt?
>
> +1
>
> What does that mean about the proxying issue?
> Do we already have a decent documentation what can be done and how?

Actually the recent threads make a nice document but someone needs to
hack it together (be it in the wiki or preferable in our documentation).

As I understood the problematic there is no easy fix for this issue
meaning we should not risk anything and state clearly about the limited
support as recommend by Richard and others.

> [...]
>
> > As a note I think we shouldn't cancel RCs anymore just because more bugs
> > might show up in the meantime, but rather collect
> > them together with possible bug showing up within the RC and try to fix
> > them or the next RC.
>
> Should we continue the freeze and do the RC even if we find blockers?

If we agree that we do not have any urgent issues right now then we
announce the code freeze. Blocker issues that we may find in a RC can be
fixed in trunk as usual (without lifting the freeze) but e.g. new
feature should not be added while code freeze.

> As I understand it, the term "blocker" refers to a bug which prevents
> a release.

Being in the rc cycle it means we cannot release the rc, forcing us to
fix the blocker and role out another one. Meaning we all
(user/devs/committer) have to test "everything" and to prevent millions
of rc we should wait a wee bit for the next rc to incorporate all
possible fixes we can find.

>  But if we mention the issue to the release notes, it might
> be reasonable to do the RC.

A blocker cannot go into a release, the proxy issue for example is not a
blocker since it is partly working. It is a known issue and we should

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner schrieb:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I did a small search on all open bugs for 1.4.
>> http://tinyurl.com/2r482h (that is one reason I hate bugzilla the url
>> had a length of 1269 characters!).
>>
>> IMO there is no blocker in there anymore that cannot wait till 1.4.1. I
>> think we should to roll up a rc to get the beast out of the door.
>>
>> wdyt?

+1

What does that mean about the proxying issue?
Do we already have a decent documentation what can be done and how?

[...]

> As a note I think we shouldn't cancel RCs anymore just because more bugs
> might show up in the meantime, but rather collect
> them together with possible bug showing up within the RC and try to fix
> them or the next RC.

Should we continue the freeze and do the RC even if we find blockers?
As I understand it, the term "blocker" refers to a bug which prevents
a release. But if we mention the issue to the release notes, it might
be reasonable to do the RC.

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I did a small search on all open bugs for 1.4.
>> http://tinyurl.com/2r482h (that is one reason I hate bugzilla the url
>> had a length of 1269 characters!).
>>
>> IMO there is no blocker in there anymore that cannot wait till 1.4.1. I
>> think we should to roll up a rc to get the beast out of the door.
>>
>> wdyt?
>>

> +1
>
> As a note I think we shouldn't cancel RCs anymore just because more bugs
> might show up in the meantime, but rather collect
> them together with possible bug showing up within the RC and try to fix
> them or the next RC.

+1

although, for the record, in fact we cancelled the *code freeze* in
preparation for the RC. which made sense since some intrusive fixes
became necessary...

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

Kurt is up in Heaven now.

Re: Reviewing bugs for the release

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I did a small search on all open bugs for 1.4.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/2r482h (that is one reason I hate bugzilla the url
>had a length of 1269 characters!).
>
>IMO there is no blocker in there anymore that cannot wait till 1.4.1. I
>think we should to roll up a rc to get the beast out of the door.
>
>wdyt?

+1

As a note I think we shouldn't cancel RCs anymore just because more bugs
might show up in the meantime, but rather collect
them together with possible bug showing up within the RC and try to fix
them or the next RC.

Cheers

Michi

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: Reviewing bugs for the release

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 12:50 -0400, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > I still wanted to look into the proxy stuff, but since it is a bug, we
> > can fix it in the freeze. Regarding the time period IMO you call the
> > freeze but do not say how long it will be (will be over as soon we have
> > tagged the release). See e.g. the alsa project that is doing rc's since
> > last year.
>
> i don't think we should base our guidelines on dysfunctional projects.
> freezing for months at a time indicates deep problems.

Yes and no. Yes, we are independent and have our own guidelines. No,
since sitting in the glass house (having bought a new laptop and testing
every rc from alsa) I do not want to throw stones. jeje.

We need to get the blockers fixed. Since the proxy issue is a blocker
(we all agree on it), so we need to fix it before doing the release of
1.4.

Yes, if we have half a year of freeze then this would be a clear
indicator that the project has the problem to focus on doing the release
(fixing the blocker). The freeze tries to concentrate the community
attentions to the blockers and critical issues that needs to be attended
before doing the release. This is my personal interpretation but the
important thing for the freeze is to get the release done (on the
temporally cost of new features).

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.