Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2001/02/28 01:05:24 UTC

autoconf and Gnu m4... a matched set?

According to the autoconf docs:

   Autoconf requires GNU `m4' in order to generate the scripts.  It
   uses features that some UNIX versions of `m4' do not have.  It also
   overflows internal limits of some versions of `m4', including GNU `m4'
   1.0.  You must use version 1.1 or later of GNU `m4'.  Using version 1.3
   or later will be much faster than 1.1 or 1.2.

Not sure how really true or relevant that is right now...
          "Hell is hot, that's never been disputed by anybody."

Re: autoconf and Gnu m4... a matched set?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 02:46:32PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> writes:
>
> > According to the autoconf docs:
> >
> >    Autoconf requires GNU `m4' in order to generate the scripts.  It
> >    uses features that some UNIX versions of `m4' do not have.  It also
> >    overflows internal limits of some versions of `m4', including GNU `m4'
> >    1.0.  You must use version 1.1 or later of GNU `m4'.  Using version 1.3
> >    or later will be much faster than 1.1 or 1.2.
> >
> > Not sure how really true or relevant that is right now...
>
> That is a powerful argument in general, but please note that what is
> in CVS now will not build on my Mandrake 7.2 box (GNU m4 1.4, autoconf
> 2.13, glibc 2.1.3) while it will build on my RedHat 6.0 box (GNU m4
> 1.4, autoconf 2.13, glibc 2.1.1).
>
> While changing the m4 may help some get the APR_FLAG_HEADERS() stuff
> to work, it looks to me that even libc differences make a difference.
> Or maybe it is because my Mandrake 7.2 box is a laptop.

We took out the nasty m4 magic, so I'd be curious what the Mandrake problem
is related to.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: autoconf and Gnu m4... a matched set?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net>.
Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> writes:

> According to the autoconf docs:
>
>    Autoconf requires GNU `m4' in order to generate the scripts.  It
>    uses features that some UNIX versions of `m4' do not have.  It also
>    overflows internal limits of some versions of `m4', including GNU `m4'
>    1.0.  You must use version 1.1 or later of GNU `m4'.  Using version 1.3
>    or later will be much faster than 1.1 or 1.2.
>
> Not sure how really true or relevant that is right now...

That is a powerful argument in general, but please note that what is
in CVS now will not build on my Mandrake 7.2 box (GNU m4 1.4, autoconf
2.13, glibc 2.1.3) while it will build on my RedHat 6.0 box (GNU m4
1.4, autoconf 2.13, glibc 2.1.1).

While changing the m4 may help some get the APR_FLAG_HEADERS() stuff
to work, it looks to me that even libc differences make a difference.
Or maybe it is because my Mandrake 7.2 box is a laptop.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: autoconf and Gnu m4... a matched set?

Posted by Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org>.
On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Jim Jagielski wrote:

| According to the autoconf docs:
|
|    Autoconf requires GNU `m4' in order to generate the scripts.  It
|    uses features that some UNIX versions of `m4' do not have.  It also
|    overflows internal limits of some versions of `m4', including GNU `m4'
|    1.0.  You must use version 1.1 or later of GNU `m4'.  Using version 1.3
|    or later will be much faster than 1.1 or 1.2.
|
| Not sure how really true or relevant that is right now...

Things that were written with GNU m4 in mind have always blown up when I
tried using Solaris's /usr/ccs/bin/m4 instead.

I think one of the things the GNU autoconf ./configure script checks for
is a working GNU m4, so having the wrong version of m4 on your system and
using autoconf would be a hard thing to accomplish, me thinks, unless the
autoconf one is using is from a package that didnt check for the right m4
itself.

/dale