Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org> on 2014/03/01 01:55:26 UTC

Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Hi,

The matrix in http://hbase.apache.org/book/configuration.html shows that
0.98 DOES NOT support hadoop-1.

I though we kept the support in 0.98. We have the build profile and jenkins
build, etc. Did we decide to drop support. Maybe I am misremembering.

I'll update that chart otherwise.

While we are at it, should 1.0 support hadoop1 or not. I think it would be
good to keep support for h1 in 1.0, and drop it in 2.0 line. But it would
mean if we do not drop support, we have to keep the support through 1.1,
1.2, etc.

Enis

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Biju.

I just sent out a heads-up announcement to user@.

Enis

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by "Biju G.S Nair" <bi...@acm.org>.

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 7:43 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> Suggest leaving 0.98 as is shipping hadoop1 w/ an X in its hadoop1 support
> column that we will point people at should they ask questions about 0.98 on
> hadoop1 and then, in 1.0, purge hadoop1 (give it XXX in the hadoop grid).

+1

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Currently it is X.  Do we want to go back up to NT?
> >

> I thought we did not explicitly decide to be that case (see my question in
> the first email in the thread). It is X possibly because we overlooked. We
> are still releasing hadoop-1 artifacts and build and run tests with
> hadoop1.

Pardon me.

Suggest leaving 0.98 as is shipping hadoop1 w/ an X in its hadoop1 support
column that we will point people at should they ask questions about 0.98 on
hadoop1 and then, in 1.0, purge hadoop1 (give it XXX in the hadoop grid).

St.Ack

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

> Just to say that there is no NS, its X:
> http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hadoop

Yep.

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
In the matrix, we have NS = Not supported, and NT = Not tested.

We can go 0.98 with hadoop 1 = NT. It seems that the consensus is to either

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 11:51 AM, lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org> wrote:

> I suppose the next question is: Do we intentionally drop it, or just not
> spend any additional time on it? (I.e. some new features might not work
> with Hadoop-1, etc).
> We could keep the -hadoop1 test suites running and fix failures, but not
> do anything beyond that.

We could.

I was going to suggest "And change its state in the hadoop support grid
from supported to not-supported" but it looks like (Andrew?) someone
already did the honors for 0.98 on: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hadoop

St.Ack

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
I suppose the next question is: Do we intentionally drop it, or just not spend any additional time on it? (I.e. some new features might not work with Hadoop-1, etc).
We could keep the -hadoop1 test suites running and fix failures, but not do anything beyond that.

-- Lars

________________________________
Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
(Good discusssion)

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
I would love to drop hadoop-1 support as soon as possible, but I don't
think we should do it in HBase-1.0.

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com> wrote:

The major distros (CDH, HWX, Intel?) have been on hadoop2 so we'd b
keeping support for other users.

Yes, Intel's distro is Hadoop 2 based. There is a legacy product that uses
Hadoop 1 but, legacy.

Re: Hadoop1 support in 0.98/1.0

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.

--